Keep light switch ON! All the time?

Page 2 of 2

Works even better with a "DO NOT TOUCH" sign

You must use Duct tape.. That is the code of all quick repairs....
That is what I did on a switch that I wanted on all the time.
On Monday, February 27, 2012 11:45:23 PM UTC-7, tim birr wrote:

Why don't you just INFORM your guests of the switches function and TELL them to keep their paws off of it? Tape the damned thing with electrical tape about six different ways and post a sign as well. If those procedures fail then buy one of those secure "lockable" switches that they use in public buildings to keep unauthorized people from jacking up the heat or whatever. If that fails then put your guests in YOUR bedroom and YOU move into the guest room.
Roy wrote: "- show quoted text - Why don't you just INFORM your guests of the switches function and TELL them to keep their paws off of it? Tape the damned thing with electrical tape about six different ways and post a sign as well."
Sounds reasonable, but in my case, guess what some visitors press to ring our wireless door bell?...
http://www.homecontrols.com/STI33010.jpg
(hint: it ain't the big black button!)
Roy wrote: "- show quoted text - Why don't you just INFORM your guests of the switches function and TELL them to keep their paws off of it? Tape the damned thing with electrical tape about six different ways and post a sign as well."
Sounds reasonable, but in my case, guess what visitors press to ring our wireless door bell?...
http://www.homecontrols.com/STI33010.jpg
(Hint: it ain't the big black button!)

I've found a piece of tape and perhaps a post-it note to work well for similar situations.
plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)

...and we all know how painful THAT is!

OP again.
Thanks for all the suggestions. While I tell folks not to touch the fan switch, it IS right next to the light switch, and people being people.
Heck, sometimes I hit the wrong switch. Funny thing, I posted in this group a few years ago that I could not get my new replacement fan to work after i replaced a small attic fan with a much larger unit. Lots of back and forth, we finally figured out a switch in the bedroom directly below controlled power to the fan....
Anyway, signs, tape, etc. will not go over well with wife. I am leaning toward the wire nut and blank plate solution. So, just connect all the white/brown/black wires, right?
But, there seems to be some disagreement here about what to do with the green ground wire???
Donate it to the Salvation Army.
Anyway, signs, tape, etc. will not go over well with wife. I am leaning toward the wire nut and blank plate solution. So, just connect all the white/brown/black wires, right?
But, there seems to be some disagreement here about what to do with the green ground wire???
On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 18:54:37 -0800 (PST), tim birr

There should only be two wires to connect. If there are four, it is a double pole switch, a good thing if you are ever going to work on the fan. The green has to go to ground.
I'm against removing a safety device though, You may regret it some day when it is solved with either a piece of tape or a simple guard.
I'm feeling the urge to repost about "green garden snakes can be dangerous". http://webspinners.com/coloherp/cb-news/Vol-28/cbn-0105/GardenSnake.html

On Tuesday, February 28, 2012 7:54:37 PM UTC-7, tim birr wrote:

I guess the wife has to go...then you can solve things quickly. Ahahahahahhahahhhaaahhahahaha
Leave evereything as is and install one of these...
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
cheers Bob
You married my aunt Grizilda, I gather? Oh, wait! you *ARE* my Aunt Grizilda? She's an albino penguin. She went to the convent, and became Sister Mary Grizilda.
Call them all into the hall, line them up -- backs to the wall and standing at attention. Then read them the Riot Act.
Non-conformers will be changed to the dungeon wall and fed swill.

Wire up another circuit in parallel with the fan. Use a Normally Open relay and alarm horn.
When the switch is on, the horn will be off. As soon as one of those darn guests turns off the switch, the relay will close and the alarm will sound. They'll quickly turn it back on.
If you don't want to use an alarm horn, use one of those devices where you can record your own message. Have it continuously repeat "Turn the switch back on. Turn the switch back on. Turn the switch back on."