You need to ground the box !!

Greg

Reply to
gregz

...and we all know how painful THAT is!

Reply to
Robert Macy

OP again.

Thanks for all the suggestions. While I tell folks not to touch the fan switch, it IS right next to the light switch, and people being people.

Heck, sometimes I hit the wrong switch. Funny thing, I posted in this group a few years ago that I could not get my new replacement fan to work after i replaced a small attic fan with a much larger unit. Lots of back and forth, we finally figured out a switch in the bedroom directly below controlled power to the fan....

Anyway, signs, tape, etc. will not go over well with wife. I am leaning toward the wire nut and blank plate solution. So, just connect all the white/brown/black wires, right?

But, there seems to be some disagreement here about what to do with the green ground wire???

Reply to
tim birr

You married my aunt Grizilda, I gather? Oh, wait! you *ARE* my Aunt Grizilda? She's an albino penguin. She went to the convent, and became Sister Mary Grizilda.

.

Call them all into the hall, line them up -- backs to the wall and standing at attention. Then read them the Riot Act.

Non-conformers will be changed to the dungeon wall and fed swill.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Donate it to the Salvation Army.

.

Anyway, signs, tape, etc. will not go over well with wife. I am leaning toward the wire nut and blank plate solution. So, just connect all the white/brown/black wires, right?

But, there seems to be some disagreement here about what to do with the green ground wire???

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

There should only be two wires to connect. If there are four, it is a double pole switch, a good thing if you are ever going to work on the fan. The green has to go to ground.

I'm against removing a safety device though, You may regret it some day when it is solved with either a piece of tape or a simple guard.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I guess the wife has to go...then you can solve things quickly. Ahahahahahhahahhhaaahhahahaha

Reply to
Roy

This link will work better for you:

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I'm feeling the urge to repost about "green garden snakes can be dangerous".

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If it is a metal box and it was wired by anyone that is minimally competent it is already grounded.

Reply to
bud--

You must use Duct tape.. That is the code of all quick repairs....

That is what I did on a switch that I wanted on all the time.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Wire up another circuit in parallel with the fan. Use a Normally Open relay and alarm horn.

When the switch is on, the horn will be off. As soon as one of those darn guests turns off the switch, the relay will close and the alarm will sound. They'll quickly turn it back on.

If you don't want to use an alarm horn, use one of those devices where you can record your own message. Have it continuously repeat "Turn the switch back on. Turn the switch back on. Turn the switch back on."

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Leave evereything as is and install one of these...

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

Roy wrote: "- show quoted text - Why don't you just INFORM your guests of the switches function and TELL them to keep their paws off of it? Tape the damned thing with electrical tape about six different ways and post a sign as well."

Sounds reasonable, but in my case, guess what some visitors press to ring our wireless door bell?...

(hint: it ain't the big black button!)

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Roy wrote: "- show quoted text - Why don't you just INFORM your guests of the switches function and TELL them to keep their paws off of it? Tape the damned thing with electrical tape about six different ways and post a sign as well."

Sounds reasonable, but in my case, guess what visitors press to ring our wireless door bell?...