Karma got me

My wife had been lamenting that our neighbor's pine tree had grown such that every time she pulls out of her parking space in front of our house, the pine drags over the top of her mini-van. I have to say, at this point, that we have great neighbors, but lawn/tree maintenance is a very low priority for them. They are friendly, the father of the family is a great shade-tree mechanic and he fixed my old cargo van several times, and they always stop by to chat with my kids. Anyway, about 20 years ago they planted their Christmas tree in their yard, not far from the street. It has grown unchecked since then and now some limbs pretty significantly hangs over the street. So we're cleaning out our basement Saturday morning and I see my limb cutter tool and decide to walk over and trim the 4 or 5 skinny low- hanging branches that scrape the top of our van as we drive away. I would ask them if they minded, but I know they'll never notice (and yes, I know that that is hardly the point). Anyway, the first skinny branch I cut hits me on the head leaving me with a nice dose of pine tree sap in my hair (I didn't realize this until a couple hours later when I was brushing my hair, cheap shampoo is no match for tree sap, I resorted to the scissors). Then as I clip the last branch, I somehow smash my right thumb between the wooden handles of the limb cutter. I wish I'd just left that tree alone!

Mike

Reply to
Mike

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 05:49:56 -0800 (PST), Mike wrote Re Karma got me:

Now you know why the owners leave it alone.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

On Mon 10 Nov 2008 06:49:56a, Mike told us...

You inflicted pain and injury on an innocent pine tree. What did you expect? :)

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Karma is not done yet.

You've opened a wound in the tree which will suck in a root eating virus. The tree will die from the inside (you'll never notice it!) and a big wind will blow it down on top of your wife's precious mini-van.

Don't worry, no one will be injured but you'll need to replace the van. At the time it happens, the van will be of the age where the auto insurance company will total it but not give you enough to replace it with anything of the same quality. To supplement the funds available to buy a decent van, you'll pocket the money your homeowner's insurance will give you to clean up the tree and attempt to do the clean up yourself.

Remember what happened to your hair and thumb when you used the limb cutter? May I suggest that you *don't* use a chain saw to clean up the fallen tree.

Sleep well.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

re: You can't be late until you show up

2 more time related axioms to consider:

Event related: You can't make an entrance if you show up early. Project related: The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

On Mon 10 Nov 2008 08:47:18a, DerbyDad03 told us...

LOL! I like those.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Me too!