Jigsaw or Sander?

I've been offered a choice of two gifts for a prize I won at work. A DeWALT Palm Grip Orbital Sander or a Skil Orbital Cut Scrolling Jigsaw. Which one is more useful for a homeowner?

Go with the Jigsaw. You can pickup palm sanders for as cheap as $10. I use them to rough sand not finish sand so a cheapy works for me. Get the jigsaw, you can't pick that up for $10. Lou

But some cheap jigsaws are not even worth $10 and will frustrate the hell out of you trying to use them. A good one is a Bosch or Milwaukee, etc, for $150.

They are both useful and very different machines. I'd get the (better brand) DeWalt sander.

I wore out two sanders before I acquired my first jigsaw. That will give you some idea which tool this homeowner needs more frequently.
sander.
those orbital cut jigsaws are junk.

thanks

Just hope the 1099 they send you isn't for 5x the retail value.

I'll take the cash rather than the "gift." I hate the IRS.

You'll still get a 1099.

How do you know that? Many companies give small gifts with no 1099.

You're right. I don't KNOW it. I've seen it happen many times having done taxes for folks. If company choses not to take deduction then they won't get 1099. I guess I should say be prepared for it that it MAY happen.
Stand corrected.
wrote in message

That's ridiculous were talking chump change not new cars
wrote in message

I know Mike. An even personal example is ex-wifie did a call in to a radio show, you know like 10th caller thing, and won some stupid spa session thing. Got a 1099 the next year for a hundred bucks.

Thanks for the heads up Red, I'll be looking for it. I did win a trip this year and I'm getting crushed on the taxes right now. The company is claiming the full retail value of the trip as as salary this month if they didn't get a volume discount. Is there any way I can fight this?
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Instead, the value of the gift gets tacked onto your W-2 wages. This may not apply if your employer makes or sells tools.
wrote in message

That may be perfectly legal, but I don't want to work for a company that does that to an employee for a $20 gift or prize just so they can get the deduction. Cheap bastards.
You might want to post this question n rec.woodworking.
Lots of good opinion there re: tools, much of it very strongly held. (VBG).