? Jam-Proof String Trimmer?

My cheapo Ryobi trimmer is a PITA! Feed failures and jam-ups are routine even with a new spool. Almost impossible to keep it working if I rethread it from bulk string.
I've got to believe there's something better out there that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Suggestions (besides read the manual and all the obvious)?
Thanks
Have you seen the line that is fused together so the two lines are parallel with each other ? Looks sort of like the 2 conductor lamp cord wires.. It will seperate as it feeds out.

No, but it sounds like a great idea. Do you know what brands have this arrangement?

If you are unwilling to use the brand of nylon string Ryobi recommends, you could at least use a softer nylon.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

That's a heart attack waiting to happen!
Tom

We use a corded (have bad shoulder so shy away from pull starts) Ryobi (60 or 70 $) with bulk .080 octagon line. It works as well (and better than some) as any moderate priced gas weed eaters I have used in the past. It's about 6 or 7 years old and has been used twice weekly on a large corner lot for 6 or 7 years now and is still going strong. RM ~

I have one too. I like it but I have learned not to let the two strings wear down too short. If you do, you'll wind up getting too close to something and break the string where it comes out of the spool. Then you'll have to open up the spool assembly and rewind. PITA!
SJF

I suspect that it has more to do with the string than the trimmer. My experience is that the cheap replacement string is much more likely to jam up in the spool or break off right at the outlet point than is the more expensive name brand. Also, the .095" string that my 4 cycle Ryobi uses lasts longer and doesn't jam as much as the .080" string for the previous trimmer that I wore out.

The string quality does seem to be a viable issue. What should I look for? A more flexible string so it doesn't kink and jam?
Thanks

I haven't had any problems that I would attribute to kinking of the line. What I have seen is either the line breaking off very short so it doesn't feed, or the line getting caught up on itself in the reel.
My suggestion si to buy the the line sold by by the maker of your trimmer, Ryobi in this case. Avoid all the cheap store brands. Stay away from the lines with ridges that is supposed to cut better. It is more likely to get caught up on itself.
Also, be careful when you load the string on the reel. Wrap it on neatly and don't let it loosen up. This lets the wraps get out of order and overlap in the wrong way.