Jacuzzi tub installation help

We bought a Jacuzzi tub that is being put in a new bathroom. The tub will go into an area surrounded by walls on three sides, so those three sides will have a tile flange installed. The problem is the from. The unit does not have a built-in skirt, so a tiled knee wall is being built along the front.

The problem is on the top of the knee wall. Do you tile the framing first and then sit the tub on the tiles (like you do with a sink into a countertop) or do you put the tub in place and tile up to it? The plumber swears that you put the tub in place and tile up to it, but Jacuzzi says that you first tile and then put the tub on the tile. Any opinions?

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Stormont

Dave

Reply to
DaveG

I installed one last year. a corner unit. In my installation I could not see how to set it after the fact. You have to level it and it is best to set it in a construction adhesive or grout to keep it from shifting. then check to make sure you get a full drain Then you have to run all the lines (soldered copper), determine where your valves/faucets and in my case an auxiliary for a hend held sprayer and install. And the drain line connection. I built the front frame then removed it and set the tub in place, did all the plumbing and electrical hook up replaced the frame, sheathed it and then installed the finish. In my case this was cultured marble but tile would be no different. I guess you could drop it in and do all that providing all of your electrical and plumbing hook up was on the backside walls but it was not for mine. You also might need to shim your top frame sheathing to make sure you get a uniform gap between the tub lip and the finish tile. you don't want the tub lip actually resting on the deck anyplace, it will unduly stress it. You seal it with an elastic caulk not a hard grout. Mine was too heavy to handle when you could not get people around the back (walled) side.

Reply to
Frank Boettcher