It's not a CIRCULAR SAW

Why are they called CIRCULAR SAWS? You cant cut a CIRCLE with them. I tried to cut a circle in a sheet of plywood. It's NOT possible....... I had to use a JIG SAW. Why are they called JIG saws? Has anyone ever cut a jig? What the heck is a JIG anyhow?
Add pictures here
βœ–

Nicknames adopted in the general vernacular.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Nov 1, 11:11 am, snipped-for-privacy@system4.com wrote:

Circular saw means the blade rotates in a circle.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Two Dutch Girls In Amsterdam
Two Dutch girls are riding their old rickety bikes down the back streets of Amsterdam one late afternoon. As it turns closer towards dusk, the increasing darkness of the streets starts making the two girls a little nervous when one girl leans over to the other and says, "You know, I've never come this way before."
The other girl nods and says, "It's the cobblestones."
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Nov 1, 1:11 pm, snipped-for-privacy@system4.com wrote:

First, yes, you can most certainly cut a circle with a circular saw. Combine the information found at the following 2 sites and you'll see what I mean.
Buy this table from Craig's List and turn your circular saw into a table saw:
http://allentown.craigslist.org/tls/881724872.html
Then follow the instructions found here for cutting a perfect circle on a table saw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxbzrf4z_cg

I've cut circles for many projects using this technique.
Second, a "jig" in the woodworking world is a device that you build or buy to help you build something else. For example, the sliding table used to cut a circle on a table saw is a "jig". Another example would be an angle jig that you could use on a drill press to drill consistant angles without having to measure the angle every time.
DAGS for woodworking jigs and you'll get lots of hits with plans for some very useful jigs.
Add pictures here
βœ–

[...]

I' suprised that no one had mentioned that a jig saw is what you use to make jigsaw puzzles.
Add pictures here
βœ–

That's 'cuz I'd probably use a band saw or a scroll saw.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 18:32:19 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
The first time I heard of a band saw I thought it was a musical instrument :-)
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 11/2/2008 5:18 AM Gary H spake thus:

Used to cut a punk-rock group down to size.
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@system4.com wrote:

Replace "why are they called" with "what's the deal with", and you'll become rich and famous like Jerry Seinfeld.
Now, list three foods with names funnier than "spotted dick".
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (lp13-30) wrote in 3152.bay.webtv.net:

Just like Band-Aid is a trade name and not a product.

Add pictures here
βœ–
Red Green wrote:

Lot of trademarks have been lost due to common usage. Nylon and neoprene are examples. Both used to be DuPont trademarks but now anybody can use them.
Add pictures here
βœ–
and think how the word 'freon' has been abused. there hasn't been any 'freon' around for decades....

βœ–
Steve Barker DLT wrote:

> and think how the word 'freon' has been abused. there hasn't been any > 'freon' around for decades.... > > s > > Heck Fire! My Frigidaire has Freon in it.
TDD
Add pictures here
βœ–
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Dupont indicates that Freon 22 and 23 are still in production and will be probably until 2015 or later.
--John
βœ–
J. Clarke wrote:

It was so simple when just about everything had R-12 in it. AC units, refrigerators, freezers and even a Styrofoam coffee cup. In the front of my shop sit three tanks, R-22, R-404a and R-416a. Life gets more complicated every day.
TDD
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 11/1/2008 8:25 PM Red Green spake thus:

It is, but who cares?
Sure, all those things--Kleenex, Xerox, Skilsaw, Fridigaire, etc.--may be registered trademarks, but who cares? They've passed into common usage and can now be written in lowercase and used generically.
It's like the term "realtor". Bugs the shit out of me that when you see this term in the newspaper, it's capitalized with the little R-in-a-circle thingy next to it. Since when is "realtor" a registered trademark? It's a person who tries to make a killing selling real estate, for chrissakes.
βœ–
On Nov 1, 12:11 pm, snipped-for-privacy@system4.com wrote:

I often dance (as in cut a rug) a jig.
1 a : any of several lively springy dances in triple rhythm b : music to which a jig may be danced.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 11/2/2008 3:43 AM snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com spake thus:

Let's not forget that there are double jigs (6/8) and slip jigs (9/8).
βœ–
On 11/1/2008 9:11 AM snipped-for-privacy@system4.com spake thus:

In your case, it's what's up.
As in "the jig is up".