Is this gas dryer worth fixing?

Hi,

Dryer belts rarely make a noise. Drum bearings, idler pulley, motors often do make noises.

No model# posted but something here may help...

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid
17 years old GE gas dryer is squeaking like crazy. I am trying to decide if it is worth getting it fixed. Not a DIY job for me. service wants $66 to check it out. If I get it fixed parts get added on. I realize it may be a belt or belts or bearings or a combo.

Experiences??

TIA

LB

Reply to
LB

Thank you for the quick info. Back to my original concern. Is it worth fixing?? FWIW I am in north west NJ

LB

Reply to
LB

First, find out what is wrong with it. Drum bearing, drum supports, idler pulley are all very much worth it. If the motor is the noise maker, possible spending 100-150 dollars and it may not be worth the trouble.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Yup, thats the rub. And the house will probably be sold within a year.

LB

Reply to
LB

Jeff seems to have good advice and I have little information other than personal experience with my Maytag about the same age. First time was the belt and second time, a few months ago, was only dust.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Could be a few things, like the drum rollers. Not terribly expensive parts. Figure the $6 plugs maybe another $40 to $60 for labor, about $40 for parts. If everything else is working OK, you have a serviceable dryer for less than $150 that could last another 5 years. At 17 years you are past the "average" life span. Something else can go again the next day. Or you can put that $150 towards a brand new unit.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Just what I was looking for. Thank you again! You are an AHR Champion:-))

LB

Reply to
LB