Is this gas dryer worth fixing?

17 years old GE gas dryer is squeaking like crazy. I am trying to decide if it is worth getting it fixed. Not a DIY job for me. service wants $66 to check it out. If I get it fixed parts get added on. I realize it may be a belt or belts or bearings or a combo.
Experiences??
TIA
LB
snipped-for-privacy@notmine.com wrote:

Hi,
Dryer belts rarely make a noise. Drum bearings, idler pulley, motors often do make noises.

No model# posted but something here may help... http://www.applianceaid.com/ge-dryers.html#noise
Appliance Repair Aid wrote:

Thank you for the quick info. Back to my original concern. Is it worth fixing?? FWIW I am in north west NJ
LB
snipped-for-privacy@notmine.com wrote:

worth
First, find out what is wrong with it. Drum bearing, drum supports, idler pulley are all very much worth it. If the motor is the noise maker, possible spending 100-150 dollars and it may not be worth the trouble.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Yup, thats the rub. And the house will probably be sold within a year.
LB
Appliance Repair Aid wrote:

Jeff seems to have good advice and I have little information other than personal experience with my Maytag about the same age. First time was the belt and second time, a few months ago, was only dust.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Could be a few things, like the drum rollers. Not terribly expensive parts. Figure the $6 plugs maybe another $40 to $60 for labor, about $40 for parts. If everything else is working OK, you have a serviceable dryer for less than $150 that could last another 5 years. At 17 years you are past the "average" life span. Something else can go again the next day. Or you can put that $150 towards a brand new unit.
Appliance Repair Aid wrote:

Just what I was looking for. Thank you again! You are an AHR Champion:-))
LB