Is there any roof coating that can be specifically applied over shingles (for the entire roof) ?

Page 1 of 2
Looking for a sun reflective coating that is designed to be put on roof shingles . Anyone know of something ?? Thanks.

== Metal roofing comes to mind. ==

Thanks Roy, but im looking for a coating that i can apply myself....not ready to lay down big bucks to have a metal roof done at this time .

I've thought about it and people do paint their asphalt shingles with acrylic paint. I don't think I'd ever do it because it would void the my warranty.
If you know who did your roof ask them or contact the shingle mfg.
Jim
On Fri, 20 May 2011 09:33:58 -0500, JimT wrote:

A radiant heat barrier installed in the attic comes to mind.
On 5/20/2011 2:46 PM, Michael Dobony wrote:

I think those are a bit pricey and don't you remove those as you replace the roofs plywood?
Jim
On Fri, 20 May 2011 15:05:39 -0500, JimT wrote:

It attaches inside the rafters. I also saw one that installs with tension fit between the rafters.

Do you have a link, please?
--
Best regards
Han

Nope.
On 5/20/2011 10:36 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:

It isn't designed for it, but I have seen people tease an extra year or two out of a tired asphalt shingle roof by painting it with the 'topcoat' stuff designed for rubber membrane roofs. I know that stuff ain't cheap, and in the cases I saw, I suspect it was sourced from a friend of a friend, either damaged cans out a warehouse back door, or jobsite leftovers that would have dried up bad before they could be used. I know the stuff comes in various colors, with white being the most reflective.
--
aem sends...

On Fri, 20 May 2011 07:36:52 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc

Google "henry white elastomeric roof coating"

Why?
On 5/20/2011 11:42 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool_roof
I'm going to use white shingles, on one side, on my next roof. We can get away with it here because of the warm weather.
Jim
JimT wrote:

Hmmm, Warm or hot. I never saw pure white shingles. Maybe lighter colored one? Is attic venting is proper? Attic fan?
On 5/20/2011 12:19 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Sort of an off white but pretty bright. My neighbor did his. We had a ridge vent installed with the last roof but attic heat here is a big deal. One roofer told me a white roof (well whiter roof) can lower your attic by as much as 10 degrees.
Some shingle mfg stopped making white(ish) shingles but they are still available. GAF used to but I think they stopped.
Jim
On 5/20/2011 12:19 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Here's one. I think you see them a lot more down here in the south.
http://www.greenspirationhome.com/crazy-in-alabama-but-reaping-the-energy-savings-of-a-light-colored-roof /
Jim
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Hi, An attempt for temporary fix is always waste of time and money.
On 5/20/2011 12:25 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Depends on who is doing the fixing. :-)
I patched up my flat roof in NM with Henry roof coating and/or a white roof product. Stuff actually worked pretty good.
I wouldn't try it on shingles but I'd be interested in hearing the long term results.
Jim
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote the following:

I have a 20' x20' (400 sq. ft.) sunroom that had a black shingle roof. It became hotter in the summer than the outside temperature. With the pitch of the roof, the actual roof area might have been 450 sq. ft. I painted it with Henry Solarflex 287 SF Brilliant White Elastomeric Roof Coating. It is not advertised as a coating for asphalt shingled roofs, but I just tried it before spending big $$$ for switching to a light colored shingle. It's been 4 years and it is still white. Also, the coating has greatly reduced the shedding of the granular surface of the shingles. Bought it Home Depot. It came in a 5 gallon plastic can, and I have about 1/4 of it left. YMMV
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

Hi, Black shingle for sun room? it makes sense, LOL! My two sun rooms have laminated Al. panels. With R value of 20 foam core. 17 year old, still looks as new.