Is there any roof coating that can be specifically applied over shingles (for the entire roof) ?

Looking for a sun reflective coating that is designed to be put on roof shingles . Anyone know of something ?? Thanks.

Reply to
ilbebauck

=3D=3D Metal roofing comes to mind. =3D=3D

Reply to
Roy

Thanks Roy, but im looking for a coating that i can apply myself....not ready to lay down big bucks to have a metal roof done at this time .

Reply to
ilbebauck

I've thought about it and people do paint their asphalt shingles with acrylic paint. I don't think I'd ever do it because it would void the my warranty.

If you know who did your roof ask them or contact the shingle mfg.

Jim

Reply to
JimT

Nope.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Why?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'm going to use white shingles, on one side, on my next roof. We can get away with it here because of the warm weather.

Jim

Reply to
JimT

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote the following:

I have a 20' x20' (400 sq. ft.) sunroom that had a black shingle roof. It became hotter in the summer than the outside temperature. With the pitch of the roof, the actual roof area might have been 450 sq. ft. I painted it with Henry Solarflex 287 SF Brilliant White Elastomeric Roof Coating. It is not advertised as a coating for asphalt shingled roofs, but I just tried it before spending big $$$ for switching to a light colored shingle. It's been 4 years and it is still white. Also, the coating has greatly reduced the shedding of the granular surface of the shingles. Bought it Home Depot. It came in a 5 gallon plastic can, and I have about 1/4 of it left. YMMV

Reply to
willshak

Hmmm, Warm or hot. I never saw pure white shingles. Maybe lighter colored one? Is attic venting is proper? Attic fan?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, Black shingle for sun room? it makes sense, LOL! My two sun rooms have laminated Al. panels. With R value of 20 foam core. 17 year old, still looks as new.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, An attempt for temporary fix is always waste of time and money.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Sort of an off white but pretty bright. My neighbor did his. We had a ridge vent installed with the last roof but attic heat here is a big deal. One roofer told me a white roof (well whiter roof) can lower your attic by as much as 10 degrees.

Some shingle mfg stopped making white(ish) shingles but they are still available. GAF used to but I think they stopped.

Jim

Reply to
JimT

Depends on who is doing the fixing. :-)

I patched up my flat roof in NM with Henry roof coating and/or a white roof product. Stuff actually worked pretty good.

I wouldn't try it on shingles but I'd be interested in hearing the long term results.

Jim

Reply to
JimT

Here's one. I think you see them a lot more down here in the south.

Jim

Reply to
JimT

Tony Hwang wrote the following:

LOL, LOL, I am in the NE US where we have very cold winters and my 27 year old house has black shingles. I wanted to match the color of the house roof. The sun room has the same type as yours. Large foam cored panels with aluminum covering on the inside and a wood exterior covering for shingling (maybe 5" thick). There are no soffit vents or ridge vents, therefore no venting between the roof and interior. I made a mistake trying to match the sunroom roof with the house roof. LOL! Did you have any suggestions for the OP? LOL.

Reply to
willshak

A radiant heat barrier installed in the attic comes to mind.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

Bill I have looked at that product and wondered about using it. How old was your roof when you did it? Did you use a brush or roller? Did you have any leaks or were you just going for cool?

The thing I fear is the curling potential mentioned. I see other people getting away with it. Five to 7 ears is all I need until I will be ready for a new roof.for the entire house.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

I think those are a bit pricey and don't you remove those as you replace the roofs plywood?

Jim

Reply to
JimT

OT, but somewhat related.

When I grew up in Queens, NY, I lived in the 2nd house in a row of 13 attached brick homes (1 block, 1 building, 13 individual 2 story plus basement homes).

Since mine was the second house in the row, my backyard faced the side of the house on the block that was at a right angle to ours. That house was also brick and the brick was in need of some serious repair work.

We were good friends with the owners and they knew that we didn't get much sun in our backyard because it was on the north side of the house.

To repair the flaking brick, they had a company come in and stucco the side of their house, but they didn't stop there. They "hand carved" mortar joints and painted the outline of bricks into the stucco.

It looked like white brick with black mortar. The black wasn't painted on the flat surface of the stucco, the mortar joints were actually carved into the stucco so they looked like true mortar joints.

It did a great job of reflecting the sun into our backyard and making it much brighter. It probably served to cool their house also.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It isn't designed for it, but I have seen people tease an extra year or two out of a tired asphalt shingle roof by painting it with the 'topcoat' stuff designed for rubber membrane roofs. I know that stuff ain't cheap, and in the cases I saw, I suspect it was sourced from a friend of a friend, either damaged cans out a warehouse back door, or jobsite leftovers that would have dried up bad before they could be used. I know the stuff comes in various colors, with white being the most reflective.

Reply to
aemeijers