Is there a programmable thermostat that can...

By cheepos, I assume you mean non-programmable ones? I don't see the problem. Sure, in most cases there are many times when you want to deviate from the programmed temps. But that really isn't much harder to do than with a conventional thermostat. All you do is push an up/down button to get the temp you want. And if you want it to remain there regardless of the next scheduled change, you just push the hold button. The obvious advantage to the programmables are that there are many times when having it do it's scheduled thing is advantageous. Like setting heat back at night and having the temp back up BEFORE you wake up in an cold house.

And I'd sure like to see the AC system that takes a house from 113 to

75 in 15 minutes. Even a grossly over-sized unit, say 2X, isn't capable of anything near that.
Reply to
trader4

chrisc had written this in response to

: Good afternoon Wayne,

I saw your post on Goggle and have just signed up to this blog so that I could respond. Disclosure, I work with a company called ecobee and we have recently launched a product called the ecobee Smart Thermostat. The details are available at

It has all of the features and functionality that you are asking about. The ecobee customer service department can be reached at 877-932-6233 if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Chris Carrad> ...anticipate the time it takes to reach a certain temperature by a > certain

-------------------------------------

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 365450 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
chrisc

I had one that used the rate the temperature changed when it called for heat or cold to determine needed start time to reach a given temperature. All you did was set it for the temperatures you wanted when it then give it a few days to figure it out and it was good. A sudden big change in outside temperature did fool it a little, but it was very good. As I recall it was a Honeywell, but not a current model.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

Thanks, Chris. I'll take a look...

Wayne

On Thu 23 Jul 2009 12:12:30p, chrisc told us...

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 22 Jul 2009 11:38:41p, Tony Hwang told us...

We all have our "toys", eh Tony? It actually would be overkill for me, as I just want to get the job done. My "toys" are more closely related to high end kitchen gear, both large and small.

It occurred to me today, however, that the 5+2 isn't actually ideal for me because I always work at home on Fridays and would require the same settings Friday thru Sunday, then different settings for Monday thru Thursday. There is a similar model to the one I mention which allows 7-day individual programming, so that's probably what I'll buy.

I am curious about the wireless thermostat you now have. I was unaware they existed.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I turned the feature off after waking up sweating because the furnace decided it had to turn itself on an hour before it was time to get up just to hit the temperature on a cold morning. I'd rather suffer a little and just have it start fifteen minutes before time to get up.

Reply to
Chris Hill