Is there a programmable thermostat that can...

Page 2 of 2
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

similar to having a generator for backup in blackout or storm conditions, why do you not have a backup window unit which would take just a few minutes to hookup and spare yourself this kind of situation? they are cheap too.
most people where I live have couple spare portable a/c units, small enough that they can be run via a generator and while they may not keep whole house in the 70's, they certainly will keep sections of house close to 80 F
several of my neighbors have now installed permanent backup A/C systems in the form of ductless heatpumps. these inverter models draw just 300-650w of power and provide a nice and efficient backup system and even in normal operation reduce the load on the main system. as you know, a heatpump is simply an A/C with a reversing valve to produce both cool and heat from same coil, no separate electric strips required.
On Thu 23 Jul 2009 03:44:28a, hank told us...

Funny you should mention that, Hank. I think we had a knee jerk reaction when our compressor blew out and we bolted for the motel. Since then we have installed two window units, one in our master bedroom and one in the room where we keep our aquariums. The bedroom is larg enough to corral ourselves and our cats during an AC outage.

Luckily, we live in an area where very infrequent power outages never last more than 15-30 minutes, so I doubt we really need a generator. We haven't even had a short outage in the past 3-4 years. Certainly a good idea where power outages are more prevalent.

Our main forced air system is a heatpump. However, in our climate, we really don't need to consider emergency heating. During the winter I doubt our heat goes on more than a few times, and then only briefly. Funny you should mention auxillary heatpump units. Back in the 1950s, York made sizeable window units that had reversing valves. We had three such units in our house which cooled/heated the entire house effectively. They hadn't yet started calling them heatpumps, thoughl.
--
Wayne Boatwright

By cheepos, I assume you mean non-programmable ones? I don't see the problem. Sure, in most cases there are many times when you want to deviate from the programmed temps. But that really isn't much harder to do than with a conventional thermostat. All you do is push an up/down button to get the temp you want. And if you want it to remain there regardless of the next scheduled change, you just push the hold button. The obvious advantage to the programmables are that there are many times when having it do it's scheduled thing is advantageous. Like setting heat back at night and having the temp back up BEFORE you wake up in an cold house.
And I'd sure like to see the AC system that takes a house from 113 to 75 in 15 minutes. Even a grossly over-sized unit, say 2X, isn't capable of anything near that.
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

yes, the honeywell vision pro series will 'learn' exactly like you are talking about.
chrisc had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Is-there-a-programmable-thermostat-that-can-385217-.htm : Good afternoon Wayne,
I saw your post on Goggle and have just signed up to this blog so that I could respond. Disclosure, I work with a company called ecobee and we have recently launched a product called the ecobee Smart Thermostat. The details are available at www.ecobee.com. It has all of the features and functionality that you are asking about. The ecobee customer service department can be reached at 877-932-6233 if you have any further questions.
Regards,
Chris Carradine.
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 365450 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
Thanks, Chris. I'll take a look...
Wayne
On Thu 23 Jul 2009 12:12:30p, chrisc told us...

--
Wayne Boatwright