Is my deck made out of cedar or redwood?

How can I tell? The wood is grey (about 5 years old).

Can you cut a piece someplace? That would reveal a fresh surface that would help.
use a sanding tool or the like and smell the area sanded. If it smells like cedar,.............well, It's cedar. If it smells like pine, then it's pine...............etc...This will work well with the cedar, but the rest of the woods I am unfamiliar with the scent , so i'd probably be just a fool for stating the above. But cut the cedar and it'll give off a very distinct cedar smell, unless it's just rotten to death.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
MUADIB
If it looks good, it's redwood. Otherwise it is cedar or, worse yet, pressure treated lumber.
I'm assuming the wood has a clear protective coating. If someone put a colored preservative over the wood, all bets are off.

Where do you live? Redwood decks are pretty much a West Coast affair. You don't see much cedar in the East either, because of the expense. The most common to everywhere is plain old pressure treated pine. Unless you live in a bucks up community, I'd bet on the pine.
Sunflower wrote:

Not generically true...many decks in TN were redwood (I'd say the majority until about 10 years ago) for almost all new construction. Granted it's now gotten expensive enough to be a custom material, granted.
Oscar_Lives wrote:

If you can access the underside at all try sanding a small portion of it. The upper surface will remain unmarked, and you should be able to figure out what you have.
inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know
From your discription, the deck is concrete.
-- Troweller^nospam^@canada.com
Remove the obvious to reply. Experienced and reliable Concrete Finishing and Synthetic Stucco application in the GTA.

There might also be some stampings on the bottom to identify it.

If those are the only 2 choices than Cedar ages light gray, redwood ages darker.

If you don't have anything to compare it to, though, it's kinda tough to tell that way.
If you can drill a hole, or cut a bit off, in an inconspicuous place, that should be enough to identify the difference. Even old cedar will have a faint, but still noticeable, cedar smell to it when cut; likewise, pine smells like pine; but redwood doesn't smell like either one.