is lemon bad for porcelain

i frequently squeeze lemon down drains. and sometimes i might leave the lemon hanging around the sink for awhile, is the acid bad for the porcelain? it seems like the acid might be eroding the porcelain around the drain hole and thus exposing metal to rust. it could be my imagination though.

Reply to
seannakasone

Over time, it will attack it. Same with cleanser.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

  1. Not much acid in a lemon and what's there is very weak.
  2. This is an iron sink with porcelain? The porcelain is glass fused to the iron. The only acid that eats glass AFAIK is hydrofluoric and there is none of that in a lemon. Or in vinegar or anything else you'll have around the house either.
Reply to
dadiOH

Acid from tomatoes will leach lead from lead crystal and glazed earthenware. Acid rain etches windows. I wouldn't leave any acid in contact with glazed sink for long period of time.

Reply to
Norminn

Can you cite a reference for your acid rain assertion? People have stored nitric and sulfuric acid in glass bottles for decades without, to my knowledge, any problems.

Reply to
CJT

Better tell these guys

and Patterned Glass Slumped glass not the answer for you? Fortunately, there are several other decorative glass products available that can provide you with an equally unique look for your home.

Acid-etched glass, which is created by dipping regular glass into an acid solution that permanently etches the surface, has a very modern look to it, points out Richard Balik of General Glass International, a supplier of the product.

Unlike slumped glass, it has a smooth surface which is more or less flat. Offered in several colors, acid-etched glass is available with a variety of designs etched into the glass surface, so that you can pick and choose which look best suits your home.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Do a google search .. I haven't kept a bibliography :o) It's the spots that nothing will take off/out of window glass :o)

Reply to
Norminn

We all agree hydroflouric acid will etch glass.

But I doubt citric acid will. Until fairly recently, lemon juice was sold in glass bottles (now it's generally in plastic like everything else).

Reply to
CJT

I have only had one experience with windows being etched. A condo was having that problem, called in various people (including me) to find out who they should sue. Turned out they couldn't sue anybody as the etching was being caused by flourides from auto emissions from a nearby freeway combining with water droplets on the glass and/or rain and forming weak hydrofluoric acid.

Reply to
dadiOH