Is it *really* that rewarding to be stealing residential air conditioners?

Page 2 of 2

I don't see how you could strip the copper from an AC unit in 4-5 minutes. The copper tubing is burined inside the condensor coils which are covered with aluminum fins and inside the whole thing. Not exactly accessible. Whick is why they take the whole thing. But even so, how much copper do you wind up with? Even if it's 25lbs, that's a whopping $20
On 7/8/2011 10:21 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

They don't do just one and clean Cu tubing is over $2.50/lb even in under 50 lb walkin and it's been much higher than that.
The "pros" take the units somewhere and strip them then sell; sophisticated bunches they've busted around here have crushers/sorters, the whole shootin' match just like the big chop shops have everything they need for dismantling cars/trucks for the black market parts market or to disguise/retitle/etc. the vehicle on the "steal on commission" basis.
It's a major problem; having rural electric co-op that traverses much open country that is very sparsely populated, we've lost miles of the ground wires from poles and as others have noted even some places they have actually tied on and pulled the lines themselves.
There's been a bunch in Wichita that have targetted a couple of the park ballfields during offseason--they've done 10X the damage to light standards, switching gear, etc., that the cost of the materials has been. The real pisser is a couple of them were all-volunteer contributed neighborhood fields.
New more restrictive laws on the recyclers on what they have to have for ID and materials they can take have helped a little; enforcement on the crooked ones of them is a problem in lack of resources altho it's fairly easy to tell which are the most problematical there's still the effort to actually make sufficient of a case to prosecute at a serious enough level to do real damage instead of just nuisance level...
On Fri, 8 Jul 2011 08:21:12 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

The can comes off with about 10 screws and they start ripping and cutting from there. It is happening all over SW Florida so I know it is possible.
Any Canucks know if stealing AC units is happening on any sort of scale in Canada? (specifically, Ontario, SW-Ontario)?
I'm wondering if it's time to put a cage around the AC unit at my office, and maybe home as well.
On 7/9/2011 2:05 PM, Home Guy wrote:

Specifically, no but I can't imagine it isn't--commodity prices aren't any different. Only way can see it wouldn't be is if there's something that effectively bans the recycling as the outlet for the material.
dpb wrote:

If it is, then for some reason it's not being reported in the media the way it is in the US. That's why I'm asking.
"Home Guy" wrote in message
Any Canucks know if stealing AC units is happening on any sort of scale in Canada? (specifically, Ontario, SW-Ontario)?
I'm wondering if it's time to put a cage around the AC unit at my office, and maybe home as well.
I live in Halton and never heard of it because it's just easier to break into unlocked cars or garages.
Instead of wasting money on a cage I'd just make a fake alarm sensor from a plastic bottle cap with wires running out of it into the home to somewhere on the unit. For double assurance I'd post a beware of dog sign on my gate. Thieves look for easy mark so why go overboard with the security. Just put up enuf stuff to make them think twice and look elsewhere.