Is Chicago water hard or soft?

Page 1 of 3
Please help! I am no tech genius and need to buy a shower-head. When I went to Consumer Reports, it ranks them according to whether the water is hard or soft. So, is Chicago water hard or soft? Thanks.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 16:07:13 GMT, Ajanta wrote:

Doesn't Chicago water come from the lake? If it does, it's soft.
Add pictures here
✖
Lake Michigan water is HARD.
If you have a water softner then you will have soft water but water from the lake is HARD. So HARD it almost hurts coming out of the faucet.

Add pictures here
✖

You can read the report.
http://tinyurl.com/yxhj4v
--
Kiva loans that change lives: http://www.kiva.org/app.php
Graft thrives http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0317/p06s01-wogi.html

You don't know what hard is until you've lived in Tucson. What comes out of the taps there is 50% dissolved minerals and 50% chlorine.
--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that
the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

You might wanna try washing it. I have a clear curtain and very hard well water. I throw my curtain in the wash at least once a month. It comes out as clear as the day I bought it. I can't imagine how nasty yours must be.

My hard water is the sweetest coldest water I've ever tasted.

Well you got that right.
peggo

Add pictures here
✖
On 10 Nov 2006 08:26:24 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

But you can't rinse off in really soft water.
I lived in Chicago 6 years. IIRC, it was in the middle between hard and soft.
Yes, there are intakes about a mile out into the lake where the city gets water. You can just see them from the shore. One of my bosses was a worker, or foreman, buiding one of the water tunnels/

If you are inclined to email me for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)
Add pictures here
✖

you worked with him in 1867 or 1941?
Add pictures here
✖

1872. But he had worked on the tunnel earlier.
Are you sure they didn't dig any such lake tunnels since those years? Maybe it was another tunnel he was working on.
Add pictures here
✖
Ajanta wrote:

If you're willing to spend a few bucks finding out, go to a pet store and pick up a hardness test kit. Aquarium owners use them for tropical fish.
Or, just ask the person in the fish section of the pet store. They're usually familiar with the local water conditions.
Add pictures here
✖

Most tropical fish are pretty soft. I can squeeze them between two fingers, without getting tired.

If you are inclined to email me for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)
Add pictures here
✖

Most any municipal water has some hardness. To find the degree of it, take a sample to anyone selling water treatment equipment and they will do a simple test (usually for free) and tell you what the hardness is.
You can also call the Water Department for information.
Add pictures here
✖

In Rochester NY, about a tenth the size of Chicago, we have three completely different water supplies. I expect Chicago has a few also. Call your water department.
Someone said lake water was soft; ours is pretty hard. Not horribly hard like most wells, but hard.
Add pictures here
✖

Actually the vast vast majority of chicagoland is fed from Lake Michigan.
-- Todd H. http://www.toddh.net /
Add pictures here
✖
I lived in Chicago, and found my tap water to be a Ph of 7.7-7.8, so I guess you could say it is slightly hard. Calcium build-up is not quite so bad there. Nothing like where I live now in New Mexico. Mark
Add pictures here
✖

Does Ph have anything to do with hardness?
Bob
Add pictures here
✖

Years ago I had a large fish tank for quite some time. I think the main tests I used to do were PH, Hardness, Total Alkalinity. These are older memories so don't hold me to it.
So I'd say they may/may not be related but they are definately not the same. I imagine people familiar with pool water would be up on this.
Add pictures here
✖

No, but acidity can corrode the pipes away..
Add pictures here
✖

Maybe give ya the shits or somethin' too, ehhh?
Add pictures here
✖