Is any of this false? Is any of this true?

Page 2 of 2
On Tue, 24 May 2011 04:30:55 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc

And not only that: "

If the disposal can't beat the food up enough, the food never gets out of the disposal, does it? It doesn't clog the pipes below it, iirc, because it doesnt' get there. You have to turn the switch off, maybe the breaker too, put your hand in the disposal and pull out the stuff that isn't chopped up.
Add pictures here
✖

False.
False -- IMO, the number one cause of kitchen sink clogs is user error: people trying to shove too much stuff down the disposal, or stuff that shouldn't be put down the disposal at all.

False. The food has to be ground up at least to some extent in order to make it out of the disposal. Without blades at all, the stuff will just stay there in the disposal.

False. Rust on the blades won't prevent a disposal from working. And "Can you see any blades?" What nonsense. I've had garbage disposals in nearly every house or apartment I've lived in, and _never once_ have the blades worn away, fallen out, been raptured, rusted away, been stolen, or whatever else the author of this nonsense imagines might happen to cause them to disappear.

If I needed I plumber, I'd hire one of his competitors.
Add pictures here
✖
On May 24, 7:45 am, snipped-for-privacy@example.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

re: "False. The food has to be ground up at least to some extent in order to make it out of the disposal. Without blades at all, the stuff will just stay there in the disposal. "
No wait - here's a scenario:
The blades on the shredder disk rusted away leaving large gaping holes in the sides of the disposal and items the size of small cars can make their way into the drain. It could happen. ;-)
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 24 May 2011 11:45:00 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:

I have had one blade break apart in a cheap disposal, a mobile home. Replaced it with a good one.

Add pictures here
✖
On 5/24/2011 11:21 AM, Michael Dobony wrote:

I'll second that bigtime. Just like toilets, people treat disposals like they are a magic way to make stuff go away. If people would scrape the plates and cooking pots over the trash first, their disposals would last a whole lot longer. So what if you have to empty the kitchen trash more often because SWMBO says it stinks? Better that than replacing the disposal every couple of years. If you have a garden, most of what you put down disposal should be going in compost pile anyway.
I had a disposal growing up and in first 3 apartments after being out on my own. Only time they ever jammed is when I stupidly put something small and metal near sink, and it jumped in there. (a corollary of Murphy.) Bought this place almost 6 years ago- no disposal. Adding one was on my to-do list, but hesitated because I was on septic. I don't even miss it any more, and at this point, will let next owner worry about it.
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
✖

With even the cheapest disposals lasting 5-10 years, I'd say it is bunk. The biggest problem today seems to be the outer housing being made of plastic, and something poking a hole in it when it gets jammed between the impellers and the outer housing. Or at least that has been the case in the last several I have replaced. Today, they range from $40 to $400. And I think you get what you pay for. And some people leave stuff in there for days before switching it on, waiting until it won't drain as a sign it needs emptying. That could create a corrosive environment that would speed up things.
Steve
Heart surgery pending? www.cabgbypasssurgery.com Heart Surgery Survival Guide
Add pictures here
✖

✖

Consumer Reports has the skinny on what is fact and what is BS. Over all, it seems that bargain disposers work, but not as well or as long as the better grade. It's your money and your choice.
Joe
Joe
Add pictures here
✖
mm wrote:

Disposals are unnecessary.
--
You don't have to be stupid to know stupid when you see it.

Add pictures here
✖

So are cell phones, HD-TV's, pets, ice cream, my wife's flower gardens, and gas grills.
But you what? I'm glad I have at least one of each of those items.
Add pictures here
✖

<<So are cell phones, HD-TV's, pets, ice cream, my wife's flower gardens, and gas grills.
But you what? I'm glad I have at least one of each of those items.>>
But me what what? (0:
-- Bobby G.
Add pictures here
✖

Wives aren't necessary, either.

Good thing you don't have more than one of each. Wives get cranky, particularly if they're all yours.
Add pictures here
✖
On May 26, 11:45 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I was going to add that wives aren't necessary but in my case she is.
Add pictures here
✖