IR Thermometer uses

Page 2 of 2

No? This is unusual logic. It both emits and absorbs radiation, but it doesn't absorb IR? :-)

I don't think so. Try it. I've pointed my Raytek at night skies and daytime skies, with clouds, and read similar very cold temperatures. When I point a $1K Exeltech at the same cloudy sky, I read a much higher temp. I think the Raytek measures emissive power in a narrow wavelength band that excludes the strong water vapor absorption bands around 1, 1.4, and 1.8 microns, but the Exeltech looks at more of the spectrum.
Nick

Right, it both emits and absorbs (and transmits as well), but is a net emitter at certain times.

When it's also absorbing IR.
Nick

Right, it both emits and absorbs.
Stormin Mormon wrote: