Interior Wood Stain--Water or Oil Based?

I'm about ready to stain some new doors (Douglas Fir wood). Does it make a difference whether I use water based or oil based stain?
Thanks.
Dave

Nope
On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 17:18:50 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Edwin

That's right, since stain looks like sh*t either way. ;) I wish more people would buy the right wood in the first place.
Dave, aniline dyes might be a better choice if you MUST discolor the wood. Then a couple nice coats of Waterlox will seal it nice and tight.
www.waterlox.com -my favorite clearcoat. (std disclaimer applies) www.wdlockwood.com -dyes, excellent prices (std disclaimer applies)
LJ--who _doesn't_ do poly.
------------------------------------------- Stain and Poly are their own punishment http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design =====================================================
Fir needs a prestain to get the wood to not stain blotchy, Bix Pre stain works, you should experiment on scrap wood , staining can be difficult depending on the stain and color you want. Ive never used water base stain but try it.
Dave Combs wrote:

You really need to experiment with fir to get the effect you want. Minwax has a a wide variety of decent products, as does Cabot among the readily available. Some products that I've got good results from came from targetcoatings.com. They have a highly informative catalog to help you decide. For entry doors a weather resistant boat finish might be best. If you want to avoid the yellowish tint of oil based, the water based products can' t be beat.
Joe
Thanks to all for all of the help particularly re practicing first. Frankly I don't want to sound cheap but I only have 7 doors yet my quotes are over $300 per door.
Dave