Interesting entry door replacement

I'm replacing an entry door from my attached garage coming into the house and have run into an interesting twist that I have not seen before. Was wondering how others may have dealt with this.

It's a 30 inch prehung steel entry door with the special hinges for doors that open out, 5 1/4 inch jambs.

The tricky part is the existing threshold on the old door is made of solid concrete. It's a little mini slab that is 5 1/4 deep, 30 inches or so wide and runs down about a foot all the way to the blocks that make up the basement wall. It's a solid piece as far as I can tell.

I figure I will need to either remove the whole thig and reframe or somehow try to cut/shave down the cement until level with sublfoor. Since the cement threshold is already 1.5 inches above the sublfoor I can't just set the new door on top, the step up would be too much.

I'm pretty certain I will need to remove the whole thing as it would be hard and dusty to try to cut out part of it and get a level smooth surface to set the new door into.

Anybody dealt with this before? Is this a common technique? I have not seen it before but then again I may not have noticed anyway. The house was built in the early 50's.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

Don

Reply to
db2006rocks

I wonder if you could fashion a sliding door instead?

Reply to
betsyb

I have two thoughts. First I would not mess with the threshold. Either buy a door that will fit your opening or make your opening taller at the top to make it fit.

If you are concerned about the hinges, locksmith shops generally carry or can get the same hinges or special screws that will accomplish the same thing.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

do not make the door opening flush with the floor just in case there is a fuel leak in the garage.

| | I'm pretty certain I will need to remove the whole thing as it would | be hard and dusty to try to cut out part of it and get a level smooth | surface to set the new door into. | | Anybody dealt with this before? Is this a common technique? I have | not seen it before but then again I may not have noticed anyway. The | house was built in the early 50's. | | Thanks for any thoughts you may have. | | Don |

Reply to
3G