insurance companies & claims: allstate, usaa, etc, etc

My wife tells me that if we ever have a claim, it will be almost impossible to get paid ok.
Now, for the last 38 yrs I've been getting insurance from USAA, starting during my 2-yrs in the army.
So I say, yes, that's what I hear too, but USAA is supposed to be different, they trust you, pay without problem.
(My step mother, way back when, worked there, in the claims dept, and they themselves called that department (among themselves) the "gift shop"!)
She says dream on, just wait and see.
QUESTION: are *all* the insurance companies horrible, or are there some that are better than others?
And does USAA actually stand out above the rest?
(Or was that long long ago, not in these days of immense CEO-greed, of "charge the most for whatever your product, and provide as small a benefit as possible"?)
Should be an interesting thread!
Thanks!
David
David Combs wrote:

<snip>
My parents had a claim when their house was broken into. No problems on the claim. Multiple thousands of dollars.
I had a claim when my bicycle was stolen, and a couple of claims through my credit card on extended warrenty issues. No problems. Claims were worth a couple thousand dollars.
So...my personal experience is that I haven't had any problems with insurance paying out. The above were through a number of different insurance agencies.
Things may be different in other places however.
Chris
David Combs wrote:

Guess you just want to poke a stick into something. USAA is a model for the industry, IMHO. And you can DAGS on reviews, like by Consumers' Union. And hear the same.
How is that interesting? If you have the option, you definitely want USAA to be your insuror. Seems a no-brainer to me. Only in NJ are they sand-bagged with auto insurance for the huge assigned-risk pool there.
My wife tells me that if we ever have a claim, it will be almost impossible to get paid ok.
Now, for the last 38 yrs I've been getting insurance from USAA, starting during my 2-yrs in the army.
____________________________________________________________ USAA is the absolute BEST insurance you can buy - no exception !!!!!!!!
Alstate says they give you two hands, but in reality it is one finger.
On 13 Dec 2006 15:46:10 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

I have had USAA for my car insurance for over 30 years with no problems. Several claims over the years, no issues. Now USAA home owners insurance is a little different. When I went to insure my first house they asked if I had animals, yes, I have 2 dogs. What kind of dogs they asked? 2 Pitbulls was the answer. No deal, we will not insure with those kind of animals, went with California Casuality at a bit higher cost. 10 yeas later, sell old house, build new house decide to try USAA again for the insurance. What was the first question they asked me? Still own those pitbulls?
--Ben
Can't say I blame them. Statistics don't lie.
(David Combs) wrote:

I asked California Casuality if they cared what kind of animals I had and they asked "Why do you have something really exotic?" Answer, "No, just two pitbulls. No problems.
--Ben
On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 23:13:00 GMT, "bill allemann"

OneBeacon has always paid off my claims promptly and reasonably. When a driver with Allstate rammed me, Allstate was great.
I expect you have just had bad luck, or you go at it wrong.
snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

Some are worse than others, all are great at collecting premiums. You will find out how they pay out only when you have a large claim. Your odds are not good.
--
Free men own guns - www.geocities/CapitolHill/5357/ (add .com after geocities)

A lot of the problems with claims payment start with the sales/purchase of the policy. A majority of policy holders never actually read the policy, and think that various types of losses are covered, but are plainly in the policy as exclusions. This may be primarily a problem with the agent letting people apply wishful thinking as far as policy coverage.

Thanks everyone!
So now I forward them all off to my wife.
Cheers!
David