Insulating steam pipes

Are steam heating pipes too hot to take conventional hot water pipe insulation? If so, can someone recommend a good way to insulate the steam pipes in my basement that feed the house steam heating system?
--
Bill in Schenectady

Bill in Schenectady wrote:

This is what you want. http://www.owenscorning.com/comminsul/products.asp?product &system
RicodJour wrote:

residential steam pipe (under very little pressure) is only a little above 212 deg F.
Mark

Does that mean that I can get away with standard hot water pipe foam insulation? It doesn't seem like I need an industrial solution for a common household situation (at least in old houses like mine).

Nope. According to this, it is good for 210 degrees. Yu are working with 215 or so. http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId !26067&cp54880.1255024.1306491&parentPagemily&searchId06491
This company states NON-steam pipes for their brand http://amconservationgroup.com/catalog.aspx?catid 3
I'd go with the fiberglass that was recommended. It is easy to install and will last forever.
wrote in message

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId !26067&cp54880.1255024.1306491&parentPagemily&searchId06491
thanks...but can I find this in a standard home depot/lowes?

I don't know, but a real plumbing supply will have it.
wrote in message

Thanks...I'll give that a try.
Bill in Schenectady wrote:

Yep.