insulating basement walls

A contractor told me to a vapor barrier on my basement walls before I put up studs and insulation. Is this the best way to prevent my poured concrete walls from further deteriation or is there a better way. I would appreciate any advice you could give me.

I recommend the articles on the subject at the Building Science Foundation:
http://www.buildingscience.com/resources/basements.htm
-- Dennis