instant hot water sand and sediment filter

I have an instant hot water heater under our office bathroom sink to provide warm water for washing our hands. The problem is that sometimes sand and sediment get into the instant hot heater causing the water flow to be restricted. This causes the instant hot heater not to turn on since the water flow is too low. I like to install a screen or small water filter in front of the instant hot water heater to filter out such sand and sediment. Any suggestions? I saw some water filters at Home Depot but they all tend to be an overkill for this application, since we don't drink the water.
The inlet to the instant hot heater is 3/8" comp.

You already know the solution. Use it. The replacement cartridges will cost $15 a year. How cheap are you?

I agree with your diagnosis Ed, but where do you find a $15 a year filter? I have a Filterite PF01 & the filters are $90/6-- and take 2 a year. [best price I've found at 911water.com]
If there's a better price out there, I'm all ears.
Jim
wrote

this works for me
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber9008-59019-WHKF-WHPL&langId=-1&storeId151&productId37159&catalogId051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumberW820-59019-WHKF-GD05&langId=-1&storeId151&productId89021&catalogId051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Those would work for the OP's purpose. Mine is an under the sink deal, and takes out the chlorine taste.
Jim
In article

This link http://tinyurl.com/6d4g7mb will take you to Tractor Supply farm sprayer strainers. Maybe something there will be what you're after. Rural King might be another source.

The other part of the equation is if you do use something like a small screen filter, how often will it have to be cleaned and how effective will it be? Given that, I'd agree with the others who say just use a regular cartridge filter.

Oh and I forgot to add, what about the cost of the on-demand water heater? I would suspect it could have problems from crappy water, so I'd tend to err on the side of a real filter for that reason as well. You could save $25 a year on filters and wind up having repair costs on the heater that are a lot more.

Not only that, but real people may be using the hot water for coffee or tea or hot chocolate, you can't assume that it will not be ingested.
On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 22:47:25 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com"

We use pool filters at work to filter groundwater before it goes into a remediaiton system or discharged. You might find a pool or spa filter with cheap filter elements.
-Zz