installing smooth cooktop

We have an old electric cooktop that we want to replace with a smooth cooktop by Miele. Is this a difficult job to do? Does the wiring just "plug" in? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Sis

"plug"
WAG
Not hard. Best check to see what circuitry is available. A lot of newer appliances need a neutral and the older homes do not have one. ( in general )
It might, look under the cabinet and see. Where I live they are hard wired, save a nickel.
Best check the hole in your counter top. I bought a really cool gas cook top for a song. Brought it home and removed the old one and plopped the new one in and had holes on the sides when it was centered. The SO was really pissed.

Thanks so much for your advice! Sis

one place to start is the installation instructions of the new cooktop. These are frequently available as a pdf file on the company's website.
sheesh.. follow this link (found by googling on miele cooktop) and they have pdfs for all their various models.
doing a little homework before posting is a good way to avoid being flamed here.
ml
On 24-Jul-2005, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

oops, forgot the link
http://www.miele.com/usa/cooking/get-cooktops2.html?bhcp=1

"sheesh"...I Did look at the pdfs before I asked my questions to the group! they give the cutout dimensions, but almost nothing about the electric installation. I thought I'd be able to get some information from real people instead of pdfs. Thanks for your trouble. Sis

If this is just a cooktop without any clocks, lights or such it will probably be 240v with no 120v load so the regular 3 wire plug is fine. The first step for you is to look at your current setup to see if there is a plug or if it is hardwired. If you are not comfortable with electrical wiring the old "call a pro" is always good advice. If you do have the fat 3 prong receptacle you can probably order the cooktop with a cord and plug. Installing it is fairly simple if it doesn't have one.