Installing Lights in Lightless room?

My wife and I are renting a place, be another year or so before we can get our own place, and I was looking for suggesting on how to light our living room.
We have a 2 year old that routinely breaks table lamps and would use a pole lamp to pole vault, so I was thinking of mounting some lighting on the walls. Because this isn't our place, and I don't want to get into anything heavy in a rented space, I'm looking for suggestions.
The ceiling is dropped, no fixture was ever in the room so there's no power to tap into from the ceiling. I started browsing the Lowes website and looked at some sconces, but they need to be mounted onto a power source, and track lighting would usually use the power from where the overhead fixture is in a "normal" ceiling.
I guess I could mount sconces on small boxes and splice them to lines running through conduit up through the dropped ceiling and down to the outlets, or do the same thing with the track lighting and the conduit, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what might look/work better in this situation.
Thanks.
A hanging light with a chain and a long cord that reaches to an outlet. The switch is on the cord. Just hang it from the grid and plug it in.
On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 01:34:06 GMT, "James R. Lunsford"

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.

pole
anything
power
and
Spend the money on obedience school for the 2 year old and use lamps.
Remodeling rental property can cost you a lot of money when you move out and subject you to all kinds of liability issues.
Colbyt

Go to Home Depot. Buy a 100' Leviton YUS-A9500 Temporary Light String (the kind you see at construction sites and used car lots.) These cost about $50 and have bright yellow plastic OHSA-approved light sockets and shrouds every 10'. Buy 12 of Home Depot's 14 W CFs in 4 packs for $8.97 each, line the shrouds with aluminum foil for more reflectivity, screw 10 of the CFs into the sockets, and hang the string from small screw hooks near the ceiling,
Power it from a $15 motion detector fixture with a 15 minute delay.
Nick
Nick,

Sounds good if I were living here by myself, but I don't think the wife would go for her living room looking like a construction site or a used car lot ;)

I think that would cost a lot more, in time as well as money. Not a big deal, he's not unmanageable that's just part of the reason, the wife wants some sort of overhead light anway.

In the long run, it will be better to teach the 2 you not to break things. If the child is wild now, just think of the fun in a dozen more years.
Really, you can control your child.
And in the mean time...
Can't you get a simple chandelier-type light that simply plugs in to the wall. I could swear I have seen these before somewhere. Lamp is on a small chain, just goes on a hook in the ceiling. The cord runs up the chain, loops once or twice across the cieling to a wall, then down the wall to a plug.

Ikea has dozens of these lights that are designed to plug in. Both hanging lights and wall lights. Cheap. Some nice designs. If you're moving in a year I doubt you'll want to spend a huge amount on this, and I doubt the landlord is going to appreciate any wiring you do.
Sue,
"> Ikea has dozens of these lights that are designed to plug in. Both

Thanks for the tip. We saw these kinds of lamps in Lowes this weekend, but we'll have to check out Ikea too.
Kevin,

We found something exactly like this, as well as some wall mounted lamps with cords, browsing last weekend in Lowes.
Thanks for the tips though.

I know, I know and that's not really the focus here, it was said more tongue in cheek than anything else. We can control him, that's just part of the issue, we *want* an overhead light, as well as some wall lighting, in the room.

You may be disappointed when done. Wall and ceiling lights tend to be more harsh.

Understood. Myself, I hate overhead lighting. The wall lamps are actually for me, and will be quite subdued for watching tv, relaxing, etc after the little one goes night-night.

You can get rope lights and string them along the corner where the ceiling meets the wall. Nice and subdued... and you can use them for decorative lighting when you move. ;)
--
be safe.
flip