Installing light fixture - wiring question

I removed a light fixture (flourescent) and am replacing with incandescent light. The instructions in the box seem very simple. Only thing is...the bare (or green) ground supply wire they refer to does not exist.
From my ceiling (supply wire) I have a black and white - that's it.
From my fixture, I have a black, white, and bare wire (screwed to the base of the entire contraption.
So, what am I suppose to do? Thank you, in advance to anyone who answers me.
Dona wrote:

Metal or plastic box?
The ground wire may be screwed to the box if it is metal. If plastic?????
Brad

Box? Not sure what you mean. Let's see...I am looking at the ceiling now, there's a plastic round piece that looks like a cm in depth and it is attached to a 2x4 (I assume). Out from this plastic round piece are two wires - black and white. Two screws hold the plastic round thing to the 2x4. Hope that helps.
There is usually a metal bar included with the fixture for attachment to the box. It usually has a green screw on it that you can attach the fixture ground wire to

Do you live in an old house? Are the duplex receptacles two-pole or three-pole? With modern wiring there should be a bare copper wire entering the box and attaching to the box at the rear. This would be uninsulated and therefore it looks different than the other two wires, and it might end at the box ground screw.
If you have no ground wire, I would consider asking an electrician to do the work, in the interest of safety.
Dave