Installing an electrical floor plug

I am going to install two plugs, under sofas in my LR for some floor lamps. There is carpet in the LR, and that will totally be replaced after the plugs are in, and a few other items. Question is, do the outlet boxes get mounted flush with the underside of the subfloor, or flush with the top. I have access to the basement right below where I am installing them. Seems very easy, but never put one in before. I am experienced in wiring, but never done a floor plug before. Thanks
I wonder if the code will ok that ??? to much dirt a crap get in it
Gene Casey wrote:

Consider using a floor pocket like the ones used on theatrical stages. With the cover closed it's flush with the floor with some small openings for the cords. Lift the cover to access the outlet below floor level.
I know what type of plug to use, they sell them as " Display Outlets", that's a no brainer. It is the height of the outlet box in regard to the subfloor I need help on.

(with possible editing):

There are special boxes made for this. Be sure to use one. There are several covers, one which goes flush with the floor and one designed to go flush with the carpet. They are usually brass and unused outlets are covered.
--
Larry
snipped-for-privacy@lmr.com

Unless the sofa is in the middle of the floor, why not just put them on the wall, near the lamps. Lamps usually have a long enough cord, and if not use an extension cord, or rewire the lamps with longer wire.