Installing a programmable thermostat for baseboard heaters

Is it okay that I did not connect one of these wires? If it's not okay, I'd appreciate some guidance on what to do given the wires that I have available.

Thanks,

Doc

Reply to
Doc

Hi, You have connect all 4 wires. Slice the one you left out and connect it to new 'stat. Turn off power to the heater when working on it.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Looks like the thermostat you're replacing was single pole. It had one line wire spliced to one load wire. You need to separate those and connect them to the thermostat

Reply to
RBM

Yes, you're right about my previous thermostat being single pole.

Regarding the splicing: There are two white wires spliced together and both have black electrical tape on the ends. I understand that this is an indication that they're recoded. Does that modify your advice at all?

If not, and I have to unsplice as you recommend, how do I know which one is Line and which is Load?

Thank you.

Reply to
Doc

Once you separate the four wires, you will notice there are two separate cables. Turn the breaker back on, and with a tester, see which cable gives you 240 volts across it's two wires. Once determined, kill the power and attach those two to the "line" and the other two to the "load"

Reply to
RBM