installing a maple select hardwood floor in the master bedroom

I am installing a maple select hardwood floor in my master bedroom and have a few questions:

1 - I am paying $3.22 sf at Costco's...is that a good price and is Costco a good choice? 2 - I have never installed a hardwood floor.....what do I need to know? 3 - There is an old carpet in the bedroom right now...what is the best way to strip the underlay? 4 - Any tips would help
Reply to
ronald.ryan

Costco generally has good prices, even if they are a union shop.

Yank up the carpet. Remove the tack strips. Hope like hell the padding isn't glued down.

Follow the installation instructions - you can't go wrong.

Take the flooring out of its packaging and let it equilabrate to your home's humidity. A week or two should do it.

Remember, wood expands and contracts with the weather. That's why you have to remove the room's molding, put the floor down - but not up against the walls - then put the molding back.

If you put the floor smack up against the wall, when the wood expands...

Reply to
HeyBub

Do you just make stuff up? There are no unions at Costco. Unlike the Waltons they simply stuff less in their own pockets and pay people a wage that doesn't automatically put their employees in the needing food stamps and other government aid category.

Reply to
George

18% unionized. Is there a problem with unionized workplaces?

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

There are unions at Costco. About 18%.

Not as many as I originally thought, and I thank you for making me look it up. I apologize for painting with too broad a brush.

Still, if only 18% of the cells in your body were cancerous...

Reply to
HeyBub

You have no idea what unions have given you.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

You are right, but they stopped giving sometime about the 1960's and started taking.

Back in the early half of the 1900's the unions were a major force in making the workplace safe and livable for the average worker. Many unions though, became greedy and only want to feed their own pockets and do little for the worker except take their monthly dues. I've been at the negotiating table. I've seen it first hand.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski