Installing a glass block wall

I consider myself pretty handy around the house for all the minor things that go wrong but a friend of mine has asked me to help her install a glass block wall and I am a little skeptical about it. There is a non load-bearing wall there now and all she does is want to replace it with the same size glass block wall. I am not sure what size block she wants, either 4x4, 6x6, or 8x8. My first question is do I patch the ceiling and wall where the old wall will be removed? My second question is where in the world do I begin installing the glass block wall? Are there spacers that go between the blocks? How do you make sure the wall is going to be level? Please start me off in the right direction and I will have plenty more questions when I think of them. Many thanks in advance to any who reply.

Reply to
xyz789

the one thing you must check on before you start is what type of block will you use. If you want to use glass then you will probably have to brace up the floor from below. Glass blocks are very heavy.

Reply to
PAUL100

A simple google will get you a ton of information, but start at the source:

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

First, glass block doesn't come in those sizes. It comes in 8x8x3,

6x8x3, and 4x8x3.

Second, you have every right to be skeptical. Glass block walls are nothing for the basic DIY-er to f*ck with. Especially if you don't want your friends to come complaining to you if it should come crashing down weeks, months, or years later. There are far too many different things to deal with when it comes to building whole glass-block walls, IMO. And by your questions posed, this seems to be a project that's a bit more advanced than your current skills would honestly provide for.

The money or thanks extended might seem fine now, but friends and relatives alike tend to get ugly with lawsuits and shit when things f*ck up no matter how much they love you now. Your call.

AJS

Reply to
AJScott