Installing a basement window`

I am in the midst of a basement remodel and just getting to replacing the window. It has a metal frame around the opening. what kind of material can I use to buffer the vinyl window from that metal opening? Do I have to build a thin lumber frame out of pressure treated? or will strips of the fiberglass insulation work...

I have about .5 inch to bridge the gap between the window and then opening...

thanks p

Reply to
pdi

Just glue it in place with some expanding foam. When the foam dries you can trim off the excess and trim out the window. Could the metal frame be removed and a slightly large vynil window go in?

Reply to
No

Expanding foam will deform the relatively flexible vinyl frame and the sash will bind. In general, you want a mechanical connection, and caulking or foam is used for weatherproofing/insulation. In such a situation I'd screw vinyl angles to the metal frame. You'll have to pre-drill and use a polyurethane adhesive/caulk between the angle and metal frame and make sure the angles are all in plane or you'll have a nightmare trying to seal the window. Then use PVC primer and glue and glue the window to the angles. A few strategically placed aluminum pop rivets couldn't hurt.

RicodJour

nah - On such a small window it will be fine. Use the minimum expansion variety. Been there, done that. We are talking about those small basement utility windows right? Only reason I would use a mechanical connection is to make things a little more secure (from a security perspective). The foam will hold just fine in this application.

Reply to
No