Installed hardwood floors, now there is big gap on bottom of doors

I'm almost done installing hardwood floors. But now there is a big gap from the bottom of the doors to the floor...about an inch and a half. They are all just the standard 6 panel doors.

I'm going to be taking the doors off to paint them, is there anyway I can actually extend the door another inch or so? I was thinking of attaching a bottom piece of wood, sanding and painting it to match the rest of the door, but I know it won't be a perfect match.

Any other ideas appreciated!

Reply to
smith_bp101

There is no reason you should not be able to match it as you describe. Cut to size, glue and screw it on. Fill gaps with sandable wood filler. Sand to match the origional. Prime and paint. Start with it slightly oversize for sanding. It would probably help to store the wood near the doors for awhile first to match moisture content.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

If you can't get a good match, start thinking of a decorative contrast. Depending on the rest of your decor/taste, something like a brass kick plate could probably be used to extend the door by an inch or two. It might look nice in some settings (terrible in others).

If you simply added more wood, a perspex kick plate could be positioned to hide the join somewhat.

Maybe some painted/stencilled design could also be used to disguise the join although I can't think of a design that I would find especially pleasing.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

Some doors have a distinct wood grain or other texture that would be destroyed by sanding and tough to restore/ match.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

I'm guessing the original material was carpet with padding which would account for the gap between what you had and what you now have. Standard door length is 80" Were your doors cut down to accomodate the orginal flooring material.

Interior doors are normally 1 3/8 thick. (These are interior yes ??) You can normally find a stock lumber size at your lumber yard...I forget the exact measurement so won't quote it here. But it's a close almost exact match for what you need.

Remove door, nail or screw extension to bottom. Sink nail or screw head. Sand extension even with door, apply putty where necessary and paint. When done right, the difference will not be noticeable.

Only thing to look for... a 6 panel door often has a grooved pattern on the surface for aesthetic purposes. Stock lumber doesn't. But who the heck is going to notice that....(except for a crazed perfectionist, who delights in making other people's lives miserable. My ex sister-in-law was like that.. the whole world is lopsided and she was concerned that two pieces at separate ends of the room didn't match perfectly with each other. .. I think it's a mental illness.....

hth

Peter

Reply to
Peter

I don't remember ever seeing any like that.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

It's not hypothetical. I'm looking at one right here!

Looks good when perfect but it's a pain once you have a minor dent or scuff.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

Be sure to leave at least an inch under the doors. This is for air circulation in and out of the room. It also leaves enough room for any area rugs that may be added later. An inch and a half is not all that bad, personally I would leave it.

Reply to
EXT

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Yes, these are all interior doors and there is a slight brush style texture to them.

EXT Hummm, interesting point, I never thought about. However the other problem is noise. Maybe I'll just do the laundry room door.

Reply to
smith_bp101

Mine, at least in the living room, have some kind of flapper on the bottom, so when the door is opened, the flapper is up and allows clearance, but when the door is fully closed, the flapper is down and provides a fairly good seal.

This is in an old house, from the days when the "formal" areas were built with better trim than the upstairs areas. I've never looked for replacements, and don't recall seeing any, especially in places like the home centers.

S> I'm almost done installing hardwood floors. But now there is a big gap

Reply to
Not