Install tube in tubeless wheelbarrow tire?

Page 1 of 2

The Chengshin 8" tubeless tire on my 20+-yr-old wheelbarrow hasn't reliably held air in a long, long time.
They got a 8" inner tube with "Slime" at Homey-Flogging-Depot. Is it a good bet to install in the Chengshin tubeless tire?
Thx, P

The odds on anyone (including me) ever having tried such a fix is totally remote. Best advice is that it is your money, go ahead and do it. From a more sensible standpoint, it is less struggle to simply get a new wheel/tire assembly from your nearest Farm Store and swap it out. Then you're good for another 20 years.
Joe
Joe wrote:

I've had problems with lots of new ones in less than one year. I replaced the tires on my "lawn cart on steroids" and my wheel barrow with highway use trailer tires from wal mart. I think they are about $10 - $15, about twice what the original ones cost. No inner tubes and I haven't had a flat tire in years. I suppose the solid no flat ones they have now would have worked also.
Tony wrote:

Any tire store that has 'industrial tires' in their yellow pages ad, can fix you right up. I had the 6"? tires on my hand truck tubed about 10 years ago, when the Bulgarian? tires stopped holding air. It was worth the twenty bucks just to watch the 250-lb tire monkey break those tiny tires down.
But on a wheel barrow- I'd carry the old tire and rim into Harbor Freight, Tractor Supply, or whatever is convenient, and see if their 'universal' Chinese replacement wheel looks about right. Life is too damn short to get bloody knuckles on some projects. Getting the tire off that rim on your own, is likely to fall in that category. Or maybe just drop a can of fix-a-flat into it, while the barrow is upside down, and pay the nearest kid to stand there and spin it for 20 minutes.
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

I'd be doing the same if I hadn't had so much bad luck with the originals and the cheap replacements. The tires come off and go back on the rims pretty easy, it's like a 5 minute job to change the tire on the rim. Plus the first two I got were for the lawn cart which is a hybrid store bought/home made. I gave the originals hell, they weren't made to carry the weight I put in the cart.

re: "The odds on anyone (including me) ever having tried such a fix is totally remote."
I didn't use tubes with Slime, but for about $15 each I had tubes put in the rear tubeless tires on a riding mower and they outlasted the mower itself. In fact, my son took the tires off of the dead mower and put them on the HF cart that he bought to tow behind his new rider.
It took a little work to enlarge the wheel wells, but it look much cooler with big knobby tires!

Picture this...
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=38897
With these...
http://www.palmettospecialtytire.com/servlet/the-115/13-x-5.00-dsh-6-Super/Detail
DerbyDad03 wrote:

http://www.palmettospecialtytire.com/servlet/the-115/13-x-5.00-dsh-6-Super/Detail Considering that the tread is pretty much useless on a trailer, it will certainly be harder on the lawn.

The use of the cart was to transport his shovels, rakes and walk- behind mower around the neighborhood when he was doing lawns as a teenager.
It was more of a father-son project than the need for big tires on a cart. (BTW...the tires I pictured are a bit more aggressive than the ones we actually used. I couldn't find a picture of the exact ones.)
We also made a side-mounted rack with PVC tubes to hold his long handled tools upright like they do on "real' landscaping trailers.
He's now off living on his on, fixing his own cars and other equipment.
I consider him one of my most successful projects. :-)

Same here. Over the years I have had new tires on several different pieces of equipment from mowers to carts that wouldn't hold air. One flat I pump up, two flats go to my tire shop for tubes which, so far, has been a permanent fix. I have had tubes put in tires down to 8" in size (syckle bar mower).
Harry K
You can just buy slime for low speed tires and pour it in the tubeless tire. I have a lawnmower with cracked tires. I put slime in a few years ago. Slime occasionally oozes out of the cracks but it has held air for three years now.
On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 17:04:41 -0500, Puddin' Man

Get yourself a flat free tire.
pic:
http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/189356_lg.jpg
"Contractor-grade solid microcellular polyurethane tire performs like an air tire, yet never goes flat! Lightweight and durable. Mounted on a heavy-duty steel rim with ball bearings and grease fitting."
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200323169_200323169

I've got one [not that one in particular- I bought a wheelbarrow with one already on it] on one wheelbarrow. It doesn't ever go flat. . . but it doesn't get hard either! If I fill the barrow with wet clay it is way to soft to push on anything but pavement.
I like the slime tubes- and have put them on a lawnmower that had rusty rims.
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Well I'm glad I didn't have the option to choose them. My highway trailer tires roll very easy, even when overloaded.
This is what I put on my lawn cart and wheelbarrow. I leave them at about 50lbs pressure. They roll nice & easy. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200330364_200330364

I don't know about that one. Mine never held air. True happiness came when I went to a local tire dealer and paid $10 to have the proper tube mounted in mine. Frankly I don't recall the last time I added air and that tube was 4 years ago.
This year I got pissed and took the 2 front tires from my riding mower to the same place. Twelve bucks later I no longer need to add air every time I mow.
Happiness can cost so little sometimes.
Colbyt
Puddin' Man wrote:

Sure. I put a $2.50 tube from HF in a tubeless wheelbarrow tire. Works swell.
And even if it DOES lose air, it's far easier to reinflate it than trying to do so on a tubeless tire that's separated from the rim.
On 4/30/2010 8:30 PM, HeyBub wrote:

The way to deal with that is to take a racheting strap like you'd use to tie down an appliance onto a trailer and encircle the center of the offending tire with it. As you tighten it down in the center, the sidewalls will jam up against the rims nice and tight, allowing you to easily get a seal. Once it atarts taking air, release the strap and fill it the rest of the way. Be careful not to overfill the tire.
I've used this technique twice this year: once on a John Deere lawn tractor and once on a wheelbarrow. Worked perfectly both times.
Jay
Jay Hanig wrote:

Right. I keep several racheting straps of differing sizes for just such contingencies. They're stored in my truck right next to the panty tongs.
Regrettably, the last time I needed a racheting strap, the truck was in the shop.
I used my belt.
Fortunately, I was IN my truck when the most recent need for panty tongs arose.

I see only 10" tube on HF web site.
Puddin' Man wrote:

And?
Unless you're implying you don't think a 10" tube will work in an 8" tire.