install roll-in shower for wheelchair?

In the topmost blog entry, there are pictures of our soon-to-be-delivered manufactured home. Among them, pictures of the

60" shower in the master bath. Between the time I ordered, and the time they finished, they started getting roll-in showers, and I didn't know, or I would have changed my order.

Long story short - I'm stuck with it and will have to remove it myself and put in a new one. My questions:

  1. How do we get this out? Can I hire a local handyman to rip it out? I'm guessing it will have to be cut up into smaller pieces. How? Jig saw? Circular saw held up against the wall? Anything they do seems like a helluva job.

  1. How hard will it be to install this?
    a handyman do it or do I need to hire a plumber? Keep in mind that this is an additional expense that puts us over budget. We've already spent a lot making the house accessible. We also still have to get the well finished, etc etc etc, so a handyman might cost less than a plumber.

BTW, I did shop around for a new shower stall. I went to Home Depot and Lowes yesterday. Both have some special order units, but all one piece units, which would be difficult, if not impossible, to get into the house. Great for new construction, but not for a remodel.

The house is scheduled to be delivered within the week. We'll have approx 8 weeks of finish work on it, so I can have this messy job done and cleaned up before we move in. Any advice, suggestions, information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Maxi

Email addy upon request.

Reply to
maxinemovies

$1700 and you have to get it shipped as well??

How about a DIY enclosure?

You can buy just the fiberglass base thru a plumbing supply house. Have the "handyman" install prefab walls or do real tile walls.

Plan "B": Might it be possible to simply modify the entrance "ledge" to the shower base they put in the house? This is off the top of my head......saw off the existing ledge (curb) and have a guy with fiberglass experience (think boat builder or auto body man) create a roll-in ramp.

If Plan "B" would work, it could be worth paying someone several grand to do it.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

The ledge in front isn't the biggest problem. It's the built-in seats. I need an open space the full 60". The logistics are complicated to explain here, and somewhat personal, but what would really work best for me is a roll-in shower with my own shower chair and room for my attendant to get behind me, then in front of me right in the shower.

Thanks for the link to that site. I'll look it over and see if there's anything there I can use. I'll also call the local plumbing supply house.

Thanks,

Maxi

Email addy upon request.

Reply to
maxinemovies

Thanks. We're very excited about it and we can hardly wait until this whole thing is over and we can be moved in.

The seats that are in the shower now are unsafe for me in my condition. We really need a roll-in shower that I can put my own shower chair into. (I do have a transfer board but don't use it anymore. My illness has progressed to the point that it's dangerous to be doing things like that.)

As for the budget, we've decided to get a $200 storage shed instead of a fancy one over a grand. That will help a little for now. We'll also cut back on a couple of other things. This shower is incredibly important.

Thanks!

Maxi

Email addy upon request.

Reply to
maxinemovies

maxinemovies wrote: [message trimmed]

Hi Maxi:

First off congrats on the new home. May it bring you many years of happiness.

Now regarding your dilemma. First thing that comes to mind is to ask do you really need to rip out the shower? Could you instead use a 'transfer bench' to move from the wheelchair to the seating area in the shower? It be a hell of a lot cheaper, around $100 . I realize it is more convenient to just roll in .... but you say that you are busting the budget right now, so using a transfer bench could allow you to put off a MAJOR remodel for a while. Just a thought.

Here are a couple of web sites that address mobility & independence needs.

The second site has a lot of roll in showers, plus other goodies. Have fun.

~~Phil~~

Reply to
Phil Marshall

Your handyguy should be able to handle it as long as you get a reputable one with lots of experience. Ask around town and with any associations that you might belong to. How? That's his choice but it will be ugy at first. Don't worry with that. The finished job is what counts.

Not hard at all since it's in pieces. The bigger issue might be moving the plumbing to accomodate the new faucet location. Code may or may not require a plumber but I would use one. Water problems can be pretty expensive.

Enjoy the new digs.

Reply to
C & M

clipped

Wonder what would happen if you contacted the manufacturer or vendor? I would, for sure, use licensed contractors because of code and warranty issues. If they are generous companies, they could offer to make the alterations before they deliver it. Stranger things have happened :o)

Reply to
Norminn

I asked. They declined. If I push it, they'll put in their own roll-in shower, and charge me for it. I ordered a 60" shower, without seeing it first, and got the one that's there now. I don't think I want to order a roll-in (that, to my knowledge, they've only installed in one other house so far) and take the chance of getting something else I might not be able to use. I figure I'll have better luck getting something I've seen already. I've also talked to the owner of the company that makes that 5 piece, and he's been exceptionally accomodating, including offering me a discount on any accessories I buy from him if I buy the shower from him.

I'll look into the code issues this week. Thanks.

Maxi

Email addy upon request.

Reply to
maxinemovies

Thanks. Maybe I could have the local handyman remove the old shower, and have a plumber put the new one in. Does that sound like a good idea?

Maxi

Email addy upon request.

Reply to
maxinemovies