Install old baseborad

I took off all the baseboard in the house for new carpet. The baseboards were fixed by long nails. But it seems the nails were not positioned to studs.
Now it's time to put the boards back. Should I just use original nail holes with new nails? Any advice is appreciated.
Those are pneumatic finish nails, typically 2" and either 16 ga. or 15 ga. Probably using the original nail holes would not increase the number of heads that you have to cover with putty or caulk.

John61 wrote:

If you haven't yet removed the nails from the base boards, don't. the heads backing out invariably splinter and chip the face surface. Instead, cut them off with side cutters or similar and use new nails or trim screws.
John61 wrote:

carpet.
What I would do is remove the old nails by pulling them through the back. This will leave no holes in the finish. Then re-attach and fill the new holes.
If you already pulled the nails and hammered them back through the face then yes, use the old holes.

If you can, just put the baseboard up with the old nails in place. Worked for me when I repainted it with nails in place. Only needed a few new ones.