Install new decking OVER old?

Our pressure treated deck is 36 feet by 12 feet with the boards running in the long direction (parallel to the house). The previous owner ruined the boards so I want to replace them.

It occurs to me that I could put 12 foot boards over top of the existing decking and have a seamless deck with the boards running in the short direction (perpendicular to the house). I'd leave gaps between the boards for drainage. I could even remove some (1/2, 1/3) of the old boards to improve drainage if necessary.

The deck will be a bit higher but it is already a step down from the house so that won't be a problem.

Is this done? Are their hidden problems waiting to bite me if I install new 5/4 x 6 boards on top of and perpendicular to old ones?

Thanks gb

Reply to
piisnear3.1415927

Ruined how?

Any steps down from the deck? Thet first step will now be higher and yes, there is a code about that.

Yes. Warping of the original deck will cause problem. The area of overlap will be considerable and will make a good dirt trap, moisture trap. The deck will look funny too.

Don't be lazy, do it the right way.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Where the new boards sit on the old, water will wick in and stay, promoting rot.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

According to :

You'll have greatly accelerated moisture/rot/mildew problems, because you're essentially routing water into a "trap" that'll take a long time to dry out.

Don't do that. Tear off the old layer.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

You cant ruin PT easily, you can turn it over, you can get a floor sander. But what do you mean ruin, if its just cracked all PT does that. Dont double up and be a hack , but anybody thinking about doubling probably doesn`t know ruined either.

Reply to
m Ransley

Agreed... we need to know what you mean by ruined. It may not be and the repair may be cheaper than new boards.

Reply to
C & E

Another thread that supports my pro-patio agenda ! Masonry is the sh*t. Decks s*ck, they look dumb and wear out.

Reply to
roger61611