Informal survey: appliance repair

Let's say your washer or dryer is broken, and you need to find a repair company to fix it. How would you make the decision between an independent service company as opposed to one of the large national outfits? What resource would you access to find such a business? What do you see as the benefits of a small or large operation? If you could design a service from the ground up, what elements would be present that would prompt you to make it your first choice? I'm interested in your random thoughts on the subject.

Todd

Reply to
nospamtodd

First previous experience would prove Sears repair is a BIG RIPOFF. nice techs but very expensive and any company who charges twice for travel for the exact same tech to service a furnace with air deserves to go out of business. they are so big the overcharge for parts too.

I would look to a small local outfit with referals from friends.

big companies are just in it for big bucks:( local guy iosnt supporting a office tower somewhere with hot chicks as secretarys to president with private jet:(

Of course I generally repair my own appliances......

I fix office machines for a living

Reply to
hallerb

I agree with the above. We bought a Sears Kenmore fridge and found the ice maker was leaking water. It took 4 service calls to get the problem fixed -- by replacing the ice maker. They wrote up the waranty work for about $128 per visit plus the cost of the replacement. So the service cost was GREATER THAN THE FRIDGE COST!

Sears is totally messed up.

Reply to
Stubby

Reply to
John_B

I'd avoid any national company or big chain. They are usually over priced and often less competent. Out local dealers have good service, good reputations, fair prices. I look no further.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hmmm, Only thing I do with Sears is buying needed parts from them. (regional parts depot is located in my city) I do almost every repair task myself. Guranteed work by me and self-satisfaction! Best shops are locally run mom and pop type famliy buz. with long history. Do you know who makes best pizza? Not Pizza Hut or Domino, local mom/pop pizzaria who still cook the pizza old ways with fresh everything.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

My 5 year old side by side with ice in the door quit working after a power surge from lightning.

The cost to replace the compressor was $450.

I made the decision to purchase a new one for $780 with a new 5 year warranty.

I know most electronics are throw away and not repairable, but same goes for washer dryer fridge and stove.

Throw it away and don't waste your money repairing it as something else will break on it next week.

Reply to
DK

My one experience with a national was Sears/Kenmore. Upon my first call, I was told that the local rep would need to call me back. By the time he called back 4 days later, I'd already had the dishwasher fixed by a small local business.

Resources I used to find the small business were: asked friends and neighbors, looked in Yellow Pages, called appliance stores.

Benefits of small operation: A local person needs to keep reputation "clean" to stay in business; possibility of more timely service (see above); often handles more models or types of appliances, so if I like the service on dishwasher, can call the same guy if my fridge goes on the blink; might be a resource for a good used model if I decide not to fix mine.

Elements that would need to be present: Easy to find (Yellow Pages ad, regular local advertising, regular newspaper ads). A real person to respond to my call; all too often, when calling someone local for service of any kind, I get a very unprofessional-sounding answering machine. Likewise, someone who knows something about the business; I don't want to talk to someone's spouse or kid who can't even tell me when the repair person might call back. Prompt service. Fast access to parts. Competitive pricing (would not have to be less than the national, but would have to be not ridiculously more).

Jo Ann

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
jah213

I'd get the parts online & fix it myself.

Web Site:

David Starr

If you have an Angie's list operating in your area it a great way to find reputable local service people of alll types.

There's a small fee to join, but it's been worth it for me.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Stubby wrote in news:t6OdnXcOhfY_N7rYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

And that fat-ass Sears Whore Bob Vila...perfect spokesman.

For some reason I just can't stand that guy. That Paul guy sidekick of Letterman is another.

Reply to
Al Bundy

bob v no longer represents sears........

Reply to
hallerb

I fix it myself if I possibly can. I use Usenet and the web for my clues. I dread calling in people.... I now have a washing machine problem that I will probably post about tomorrow as a case in point..... Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

I would make sure that no marketing majors worked for the company.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

Maybe it was a Vila appearance on Letterman, when he tried to mention Sears at every possible turn and proved that he couldn't operate a saw or hammer. He was only slightly better at hammering than George W. Bush was. And about 20 years ago, Vila was sued by Conrad Janis, the actor who played Mindy's father on Mork & Mindy, for doing a bad job building his $2M home.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

I think I saw Bob Villa tools on tv the other day. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. SELF INVOLVED MUCH?? Couldn't think of another name for your tools? What a w**re..

How about a BV door mat?

Reply to
Charles Pisano

do_not_spam snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote in news:1160298100.326557.225390 @k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

No shit! He was on Letterman? Kinda glad I missed it but yet would be drawn to it. Sorta like watching thise nature shows showing maggots eating a rotting carcas. It's disgusting but you look.

Did he at least grab the right one or was he spewing nonsense about the hammer while pointing to the saw?

Reply to
Al Bundy

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Charles Pisano) wrote in news:18403-4528D7EE-1517 @storefull-3274.bay.webtv.net:

I'd buy a BV head decal with mouth open to put in the bottom of the toilet so I could shit and piss on it. Like those clown things at carnivals with the mouth open that you shoot the water gun in...

Reply to
Al Bundy

Bob is selling his tools on HSN. stumbled onto that the other day.

he is no longer affilated with sears.

Reply to
hallerb

" snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote in news:1160328087.208348.47180 @i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Mercenary Whore.

But...he follows where the most bucks are and HSN must be a gold mine. He's not stupid, just incompetent. Guess I'd do it to. Who cares what people would call me. Laugh all the way to the bank.

Reply to
Al Bundy