In the heat of the concrete

I was in Lowes yeseteday and I walked by a full pallet of bagged cement mix. And after I got past it I realized how much heat that pallet was holding. So I went back for another feel. I paid particular attention to how cool I felt before I went back and sure enough that thing was blazing in comparison.
I mentioned it to the guy working there and he said it just came from outside. But it was a pretty cool day (outside) here in NEPA. This tells me a great deal about the properties of concrete and how hot it gets and how it retains heat. It was something I didn't see as being so obvious before now. I guess it goes with the getting older and more sensitive thing..Just though it was interesting.
Charles
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

It also "retains" cold. :-)
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

Maybe it is curing from excessive humidity and should be junked

Read about building the Hoover dam. The curing concrete created so much heat they had to turn air conditioners on it in order to get it to set properly.
Red wrote: ...

I understand it took over three years of pumping cool water though it to help it cure. Concrete gives off heat as it cures.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 16:14:23 -0400, "Joseph Meehan"

One show about the dam (iirc); tells, that had they not taken action to assist the curing it would take 300 years for the concrete to cure.
The new by-pass bridge just below the dam is now said to have the largest single pour in the world.
http://www.hooverdambypass.org /
-- Oren

AIUI, the Panama Canal is still curing.

I hope the concrete does better :-))
-- Oren
I can remember, about 30 years ago, when building a house, I went to a building materials supplier - these are the guys who supply masonry materials to the trades - to pick up some Portland and mortar mixes.
I helped to load it into the pickup from their storage shed which contained several hundred bags. It was all hot when lifted from the pile. This is why it doesn't last long when stored, particularly as a single bag in an area with some dampness. The moment it is made, it starts absorbing moisture and curing. It really does have a short shelf life.

ransley wrote:

I thought of that. I was being an optimist based on what the OP wrote. You could be right however.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 12:36:58 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

North East Pa? NEPAl? Nappa? I don't think I've heard of NEPA.