In-ground pool question/rant

Last year I got hit with algae early so I got "phosfree" and it cleared it up.

Went to a maintance dose of "pool perfect phosfree" earlier this year and the algae came this year about two months ago.

Part of my problem (i think) is I'm getting my phoshates checked at the pool supply and they have changed help numerous times. I need a good regent test for phosphates and I've been told that here before. The guy told me 300ppb yesterday (but I really doubt that number) Usually in the low 100s.

My chlorine level is monitored closely. Yesterday it was 3ppm I just tested PH and it was 7.4 in a quick test with a calibrated probe that's pretty accurate. The store said I needed alkaline but only 3.5lbs which sounds about right for this time of year.

My knee jerk reaction is to buy more "Phosfree" but I don't know for sure. *I do know* I'll be getting a phosphate regent test.

How do metals play in algae growth?

Anyone else use "Phosfree" then "Pool Perfect Phosfree" with better results?

Comments? Suggestions?

Green yellow algae with spots on plaster that have to be periodically scrubbed off. Sand Filter Central TX (Hotter than it's ever been ~ 105 today) Damn I want to go back to NM! At least 50% shade on pool. (nice!)

10,000 gal pool and spa.

If your suggestion is to get a phosphate regent test don't waste your time. I already know that. Thanks

Jim

Reply to
Jim T

AT least from experience with our pool, I would wonder if you are using an algacide and if not, why not?

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Do you shock the pool regularly? What is the stabilizer level (too much is bad)?

You can get good chlorine numbers and still not have much "free" chlorine available. Do you know where the phosphate is coming from?

Reply to
gfretwell

I'd shock the hell out of it. Take it to 40 ppm chlorine using liquid. Then I'd get a copper algecide for maintenance.

Reply to
trader4

heh~

i think it was u that suggested the regent. Isn't it nice to be right?

I have to ask. thanks

Reply to
Jim T

No. never needed to but I have use 'black-out" like shock. Got rid of the black but the grn is back.

Reply to
Jim T

phosphates must be coming from the atmosphere. rain has been light so lots of dust, leaves......

I'm going right now to get the test.

Once a week shock if not more.

That's another issue is I need to move my chemicals because it's too hot to store them outside.

Jim

Reply to
Jim T

My PhosFree comes with phosphate test kit, big enough to last the whole summer.

Here in the Ohio River Valley,this year, the heat, sun and rain are playing hell with my chemistry-especially chlorine and pH.

Rain seems to pick up phosphates from the farm fields in IN, then dumps it all in our pool. It's been a constant challenge, until I tried PF.

I dump 1L of PF in the skimmer every month, regardless of what the test says, if I bother to test it, which I usually don't. I ain't got no algae.

I can't overemphasize the value of a relationship with good, local pool store, if you can find one.

Online, these guys seem to provide the best info in my case:

-----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

We put in every couple weeks with the shock. It would seem that if you have problems with algae, MAYBE, just maybe, you have a need for an algacide. (grin0>

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

not necessarily which is the idea behind zero phosphates.

anyway...goota go and get the regent and other stuff

Reply to
Jim T

Have no idea what you're talking about. The above advice is sound. As others have suggested, if trying to limit phosphates isn't working, then use an agecide.

Reply to
trader4

must not of been you.

To use algaecide i'd have to grow algae. Do you think it's unavoidable?

jim

Reply to
Jim T

Strips or reagent?

my chlorine is evaporating with the water. ph is about the same

with rain at least you know what it is and can shock accordingly.

that's the test: do you have algae? y/n Yes? You have phosphates.

our's used to be really good but as with everything time drifts on.

i'll check it out.

Wh

Reply to
Jim T

correction "reagent"

Reply to
Jim T

CORRECTION "reagent". Sorry for the stupidity.

Reply to
Jim T

What is your cyanuric acid level? That's the chlorine stabilizer. Without it, the chlorine you dump in the pool dissipates into the air through the surface of the water. Buy a stabilizer test kit. I had to adjust mine every two years or so. You might be missing the easy answer.

Other than that, I NEVER did ph, phosphate, and all that stuff. Just made sure there was enough stabilizer, and then checked the chlorine level. Everything else just fell into line after that.

In order for algae to form and grab hold, there has to be a lack of chlorine. Fergeddabout phosphates, ph, and all that other falderal.

YMMV

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Algaecides are for people who don't maintain enough chlorine levels.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Thanks steve and looking into to it. I have a free chlorine station set up and I'm dribbling out free chlorine by the hours now. we'll see. chlorine was at 3 just about 2 hours ago.

Reply to
Jim T

Exactly my experience.

Pool stores will sell you every thing under the sun to get rid of algae. But if they sell you something that works, you stop buying.

For 13K gallons, I add 5 gallons of liquid chlorine. End of algae.

I use Algacide but when I want to get rid of algae, chlorine is the weapon of choice.

Reply to
despen

score one for more chlorine (free sounds like)

Reply to
Jim T