In-ground pool question/rant

Page 1 of 2
Last year I got hit with algae early so I got "phosfree" and it cleared it up.
Went to a maintance dose of "pool perfect phosfree" earlier this year and the algae came this year about two months ago.
Part of my problem (i think) is I'm getting my phoshates checked at the pool supply and they have changed help numerous times. I need a good regent test for phosphates and I've been told that here before. The guy told me 300ppb yesterday (but I really doubt that number) Usually in the low 100s.
My chlorine level is monitored closely. Yesterday it was 3ppm I just tested PH and it was 7.4 in a quick test with a calibrated probe that's pretty accurate. The store said I needed alkaline but only 3.5lbs which sounds about right for this time of year.
My knee jerk reaction is to buy more "Phosfree" but I don't know for sure. *I do know* I'll be getting a phosphate regent test.
How do metals play in algae growth?
Anyone else use "Phosfree" then "Pool Perfect Phosfree" with better results?
Comments? Suggestions?
Green yellow algae with spots on plaster that have to be periodically scrubbed off. Sand Filter Central TX (Hotter than it's ever been ~ 105 today) Damn I want to go back to NM! At least 50% shade on pool. (nice!) 10,000 gal pool and spa.
If your suggestion is to get a phosphate regent test don't waste your time. I already know that. Thanks
Jim

AT least from experience with our pool, I would wonder if you are using an algacide and if not, why not?
On 7/26/2011 10:47 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

No. never needed to but I have use 'black-out" like shock. Got rid of the black but the grn is back.

We put in every couple weeks with the shock. It would seem that if you have problems with algae, MAYBE, just maybe, you have a need for an algacide. (grin0>
On 7/26/2011 11:32 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

not necessarily which is the idea behind zero phosphates.
anyway...goota go and get the regent and other stuff
On 7/26/2011 11:36 AM, Jim T wrote:

correction "reagent"

Steve

No, they're for people who don't like blond hair (or burnt hair). It takes a *lot* if chlorine to kill algae. Chlorine is intended to kill bacteria, not algae.

But it kills both.
Best plan is to not use the pool for a day or 2. The chlorine levels return to normal pretty quickly.
--
Dan Espen

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 21:33:07 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

Not in the concentrations you want to be swimming in.

I didn't say one shouldn't shock the pool. The purpose of shock isn't to kill algae either.

I just said that. Don't use the pool if the chlorine scares you.

I know shock isn't sold as algae control. I'm just sharing my experience.
I've been through the pool store test regimen. I've had yellow algae, black algae, green algae and specific treatments that were supposed to cure each. None of them ever seemed to work.
But then I figured out that if I over-shock the pool, everything growing in the pool dies overnight. Typically the green water turns cloudy white and in a day or 2 the filter removes the white.
--
Dan Espen

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 10:49:20 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

Moron. Don't use so damned much chlorine.

Your "experience" isn't worth a damn.

You obviously did something very wrong. Algae is trivial to control.

On 7/27/2011 9:49 AM, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

Filter media makes a difference. Sand filters can let tiny dead algae through unless u use a substance that has to be backwashed.
What I did this time is check the phosphates and they were high so I used phosfree, chlorine and a floc like chemical then backwashed. The thing that works is *killing everything*; *let the pool settle 48 hours*. put some floc in the filter ~ vacuum through the floc and backwash. Works for me everytime. But it can get expensive. Chemicals and water and all.

Do you shock the pool regularly? What is the stabilizer level (too much is bad)?
You can get good chlorine numbers and still not have much "free" chlorine available. Do you know where the phosphate is coming from?

lots of dust, leaves......
I'm going right now to get the test.
Once a week shock if not more.
That's another issue is I need to move my chemicals because it's too hot to store them outside.
Jim

I'd shock the hell out of it. Take it to 40 ppm chlorine using liquid. Then I'd get a copper algecide for maintenance.
On 7/26/2011 10:49 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

heh~
i think it was u that suggested the regent. Isn't it nice to be right?
I have to ask. thanks

Have no idea what you're talking about. The above advice is sound. As others have suggested, if trying to limit phosphates isn't working, then use an agecide.
On 7/26/2011 12:04 PM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

must not of been you.
To use algaecide i'd have to grow algae. Do you think it's unavoidable?
jim

My PhosFree comes with phosphate test kit, big enough to last the whole summer.
Here in the Ohio River Valley,this year, the heat, sun and rain are playing hell with my chemistry-especially chlorine and pH.
Rain seems to pick up phosphates from the farm fields in IN, then dumps it all in our pool. It's been a constant challenge, until I tried PF.
I dump 1L of PF in the skimmer every month, regardless of what the test says, if I bother to test it, which I usually don't. I ain't got no algae.
I can't overemphasize the value of a relationship with good, local pool store, if you can find one.
Online, these guys seem to provide the best info in my case: http://www.poolplaza.com / -----
- gpsman