Illuminated wall switch plate?

Today; I was replacing my old light switches and I came across a single switch plate/cover that had two black wires leading into it, the switch plate was thicker than normal too 1/4". After breaking the plate cover open; I noticed it had a electroluminescent light panel inside it. Inside a swich plate cover? I've seen illuminated toggle switches that glow orange when flicked off because of a neon bulb in series with the lighting circuit, but not this!!! It is very old and doesn't work, or probably has never worked because I never noticed it when I moved in my house a few years ago. Has anyone ever seen this before? Are they still made anymore?

I had one in my bedroom as a kid 40 something years ago. It was good for finding the switch in the dark and functioned as a not-too-bright nightlight. I don't know if they are still made or not.

I don't know. Have you searched online for one?
Abe wrote:

I tried searching online, but I can't find any like this.

Here's some stuff to get you started http://www.liteaswitch.com / http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4038582.html http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4514789.pdf
Ejohnson wrote:

Something like this?: http://www.stacksandstacks.com/html/20401_switchplate-illuminated.htm
--
Grandpa
What is that dripping from my fingers?
In wrote:

"Switchplate requires no wiring and replaces your old switchplate quickly and easily. "
Wonder how this works- the OP's apparently had to be wired in.
--
Jim
"Remember, an amateur built the Ark; professionals built the Titanic."

Cliff Hartle wrote:

I spotted that too and was curious about it. It was "but the matter of a moment" to squirt a question to the seller via email, wonder what I'll hear.
Maybe it's one of thos radioactive isotope activated things like the "EXIT" signs they used to use on airliners.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

800-761-5222 7:30a-4:00p PST Mon-Fri
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

JMagerl wrote:

Oh, that's a _real_ safe design! Sheesh. Amazing.