ideas for nut/bolt storage

Page 1 of 2
Hi, I'm trying to organize my garage. My tool box is full of screws, bolts nails, etc. I would like to find some neat storage system for these things. I'm sure some of you have some really creative ways to store all your nuts and bolts. So what do you use for workshop storage? Thanks, Jeff

When the kids were small I saved the baby food jars. Still use them today. At the time I worked in a company with a sheet metal shop so I had some 16 gauge shelves made to hold them; sort of a "U" shame but with the front leg shorter. The shelves are mounted on a plywood board.

eventually. Aside from trying to get a replacement that matches, the little glass shards will keep popping up when and where you least expect them. (Or does baby food come in plastic now?) I find plastic peanut butter jars work well- soak the labels and PB reside off, and they are easy to see through, and hold a lot. For small-quantity items, buy one of the ubiquitous blue or gray plastic-box things with clear plastic drawers at the big-box or discount store. Yes, they are junk, but they are cheap.
aem sends....
ameijers wrote:

If you're afraid of broken glass you must live in constant terror. The baby food jar thing is a good idea, only I have the lids screwed to the underside of a shelf, which means that you can screw the container back onto the lid and the containers hang in a neat, orderly row right at eye level. Same jars for twenty years or so. Because the jars seal up pretty well, it does a good job of protecting the contents from corrosion.
I, too, used the jars for years. Asked one of the young bucks at work to save me some jars. He brought in a whole case.
Can't use them, the lids don't screw on like the old ones.

DanG wrote:

Such is progress. I guess that tells you how long it's been since I've bought baby food.
A variation on this is to use a kitchen knife magnet bar, mounted on the underside of whatever horizontal surface suits you. Then you just stick the jar on by its lid. I've seen bars for sale up to 24" long.
Price-to-number-of-jar ratio is still not so favorable, though, but hey, it's my first post!
I bought a bunch of plastic freezer boxes. ( pint size ) Built a wall shelf unit to hold about 32 boxes.
They're cheap, tough, just the right size for a goodly amount of screws, nails, etc. etc
Use indelible marker to mark contents.....
.
On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 21:12:28 -0500, "Jeff Guay"

<rj>
"Jeff Guay" wrote

This isn't an original thought, but I use Flambeau products. Cheap & portable if you need portable storage. I use them because their one manufacturer is about 20 miles from me, they have an outlet/discount store on the manufacturer site which is open to the public. http://www.flambeau.com/hardware/hardware_catalog_2001.pdf
On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 21:12:28 -0500, "Jeff Guay"

I just keep them in a big can; then, I go to the hardware store when I need one. Kind of like cutting glass: first, I find a piece in the barn that's about the right size; then, I break it; then, I go to the hardware store.
George
Egg cartons
Great idea. Around here I buy my eggs in clear cartons. Thanks for the tip

HL wrote:

Ostrich eggs? :)

Weighing in late, but some years back one of my kids made me a nut/bolt holder that has worked well for me. It is baby food tops screwed to a round piece of plywood. I put one screw in the middle of the plywood and mounted it under a shelf in my shop. You put nuts/bolts in the jars and then screw them to the tops mounted on the plywood. It works pretty good and has for years. Just an idea.
Bobby

My "babies" are gone, but I use 18oz peanut butter plastic jars
Don't separate them. Just dump all the bolts and nuts into one big container. That way, they "get together" at night and breed new ones. You'll never run out.
Just don't mix metric with inch sizes. Their offspring won't fit anything :-)
(Hey, it used to work with coathangers...)

behind the tin screw it to the wall and you have nuts and bolts storage wall.<g>

Finally an idea on how to use the tiny magnet I saved from the discarded heads of the Sonic toothbrush. I have a hadful, they are eceptionally powerful and have not found any use for it.
Alternate solution needed for Stainless Steel and brass hardware or aluminum small parts.
MG
"> I'm trying to organize my garage. My tool box is full of screws, bolts

Container Store, Get Organized, and many hardware stores have clear plastic drawers about 2x3 inches by 6 deep, that fit into a plastic shelf system with several dozen drawers per set. Very handy, cheap, dust resistant, and no broken bottles nor unscrewing lids.