Ice Skateing Rink Lighting

Is it possible to place lighting UNDER ice ?
I would guess it would have to be low voltage lighting!
Has anyone done this???
Thanks Ed
Hi,
If you can get under the ice it is possible yes. Is the rink inside and using a mechanical freezing system? If so the heat from the lamps shouldn't affect it or melt it. I have seen ice carvings lit up and the colored lights really made them beautiful. I wouldn't put the lamps too close to the ice if you use anything over 40 watts. Make sure they are waterproof exterior fixtures with a GFCI circuit breaker feeding them. I like the idea you want to try.
candice
I think that the heat from the bulbs would be a major problem. I bet that the bulbs would shatter. Expansion and contraction would be a problem. Light pipes made from fiber optics would be a possibility.
Good luck, Dave M.
On 12 Nov 2003, David Martel wrote:

Not to mention that ice is naturally more opaque than clear. It would take a very bright (read "hot") light to be seen.
That said, I think we both just responded to a troll, but what the hell, you never know.
Who you calling a "troll"?-jerk
I can't ask a simple question ?
I am putting in a back-yard rink and was wondering if lighting from under the ice was possible?

On 12 Nov 2003, Ed Kaz wrote:

If the shoe fits, wear it.

Sometimes the questions are just a bit -too- simple, that's why you tend to think you're being "baited", by a troll.

What part has you stumped? The idea of submersing electrical wiring in frozen water? Or somehow isolating the lights under, ohhhh, maybe a bigass sheet of glass that will support the weight of the ice??? Yeah, those ideas will work. Go for it, Sparky.
Hey Einstein,
I was toying with the idea of installing side-glow cable.
If you only think you need electricity -- stick your finger in a socket.
If you DON'T KNOW what you are talking or have something useful to say DON'T post.
Is unbelievable people are so closed minded and so quick to think that there is only one way to do things!

HEAT comes to mind , as in WHY its not popular ,because it makes it impossible to make ice BOZO
BOZO, sideglow cable produces NO HEAT!
I wanted to know if anybody used this or anything else in this application.
I KNOW it can be done (I have seen it).
But do not know how.
I am guessing how??
What's with all the negative remarks.
BTW:
I have a electronics/electrical degree and know a little about water and electricty.. So if you hicks have something constructive to say bring it on.

then why ask US BOZO
Put your finger in the socket , if it shocks its No good,,, Lick it , if it shocks its NG Bulbs are heaters , if Ice melts Stop OK OK OK Or , pay a pro ,,, Me , Il show you how to spend the Doe
I ve got an elec tronics elec degree so im the prooo I want to frereze water haaaaaa hasaaaaa, But i piss in it so im at a losss Does piss take a much lower temp to freeze , if i drink yes, its alcohol if i drink alot? it wont freeze, im antifreeze Mr Antifreeze