I thought the electrician wanted to sell me LSD

I had an electrician come over to try to change some wiring so my electric bill is not so high. He wrote up an estimate, and handed it to me. Although his price was a little steep, I thought he was a decent guy and seemed honest. After he left I sat down and began to carefully look over his estimate, and what he proposed to do. His handwriting was not the easiest to read, but I took my time reading it. When I got to the part where he said he wrote a list of materials, I became very uneasy when I read the part that said "14 LSD lights". I immediately saw visions of the 60's, and thought he was going to install lava lamps, and that he would be doing acid, while he wired my home, and probably giving some to me too. I thought to myself, this guy must have thought I was a druggie, to even suggest such a thing, and although I survived the 60's, I dont do drugs.

Several days later he called me and asked me if I was ready for him to begin the job. I told him that I could not have someone doing drugs in my home, near my children and wife, and that I did not want any drug lights in my home. He said he did not do drugs, and asked me why I thought that he was a drug user. I told him about the LSD lights he had listed on his estimate. He began to laugh, and said those are LED lights...... (and explained to me what LED lights are).

Whew! That was a freakout!!!! Even kind of Trippy and Psychedelic, but not too Groovy......

Reply to
lakeview27

carefully

LOL!!!! That's great!

Before going ahead with any electrical work, you might want to estimate your actual electricity cost for each device you use now and subtract the cost for operating the new devices. Then divide the cost of the work and new materials by the monthly savings and you can see how many years it will take to pay yourself back. If you need help, the power company is the best source of help.

Do the same for AC, furnace fan, electric heaters, electric stove, TV, computer - any electric device that you use regularly, and compare them with the cost of power for the latest types.

I went through this exercise and the best way I found to save money over the long haul was to replace the refrigerator ever 10-15 years, and change all the high-use incandescent bulbs to compact fluorescent. Other devices or elec work would not pay back for 30+ years -- not including repair costs if any.

Some folks don't like the CF bulbs because of the hue or because some of the earlier versions flickered or took a few minutes to reach max brightness. The CF bulbs that are sold these days give the same color of light as the old bulbs. But buy one bulb first and try it - to be sure you like the hue, and to be sure it comes on immediately and doesn't take a few minutes to reach max brightness.

Look for CF bulbs at your power company -- around here they are subsidized and end up being 2 for $1 for 60-100W equivalent. Also, check the dollar stores - they sell the same bulbs for 50-cents that the big box stores sell for $2-4 each - higher price does not mean better quality with these bulbs.

Reply to
Guv Bob