I messed up and may have ruined my drill

I have a Dewalt cordless drill.
I was outside in my planter area doing some formwork and ran out of fasteners. I stopped and drove to HD to get some more.
During that time it rained...more like poured...
I had the drill standing up on a step stool (smart huh?) The rain or wind must have knocked it over, and it felt into the planter area. When I got back it's all wet. I peeked into the housing and saw some sand got inside the housing. I tried to shake some of it out, but because of the wetness some sand stayed inside.
It still works...but I am wondering whether I have done big damage to it.
I hope I don't have to get a new cordless drill.
MC
MiamiCuse wrote:

The essence of pragmatism is......
"If it works, use it."
I don't think you'll have trouble. Sand and dirt when dry is pretty much non-conductive electrically so shouldnt cause shorts, particularly at the relatively low voltages used in cordless tools.
I'd recommend leaving it in a warm place for a while to dry ot any moisture inside it. Maybe blow some warm air through the openings with a hair dryer.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

DEFINITELY dry it out before trying to use it. A hair dryer is a good idea. then you may need to relube it.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 18:52:02 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

A plastic bag of rice; said to work on cell phones after dropped into water.
Place the phone /(tool in the bag) The rice will absorb the moisture.

MiamiCuse wrote:

Mine have been rained on manytimes in the back of the pickup. They (all 3) still work just fine.
Big risk is that the electric motor may rust, and stop working. Dry it out as soon as you can. A day or two in a frost free refrigerator may help. The frost free fridges dessicate anything they can. My copier guy used to suggest I keep my copy paper in the fridge, to reduce or prevent paper feeding jams.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Dry it off, clean it, and hope. I would not leave good tools unattended, we have relatively low crime but theft does happen. Take care of your good tools and you will save money in the long run.