I'm saving on oil

Some of you may have seen my discussions about a new heating boiler I started a couple of months ago. My Energy Kinetics System 2000 boiler was installed on Dec. 22. My oil tank was filled four days later. From the performance and hot water heating pattern, I knew I was saving fuel, but had no idea how much until today. My tank was topped off.

Based on the average of 2008 and the degree day factor, my consumption is down 29.5%. I was figuring at least 25% and hoping for more and it looks like I got it. I'll save quite a bit this summer when hot water is the main use. The indirect fired water heater is far more efficient than the tankless coil.

Based on the DD factor and past history, my old boiler would have burned about 235 gallons of oil; my delivery was 165 gallons, or 70 gallons less than it would have been. Multiply that by your local oil price.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Here in Chicago I heard the weatherman say its been the coldest winter in 25 years, how do you calculate degree days into your formula.

Reply to
ransley

Here in Chicago I heard the weatherman say its been the coldest winter in 25 years, how do you calculate degree days into your formula.

I have record of all my oil deliveries for the past two years so I put them on a spreadsheet. I went back and got the degree days for each period between delivery dates. Then it is a simple matter of putting in a formula dividing the oil gallons by the degree days. The use for 2007 and 2008 is close, but the drop for this year is considerable. . The 70 gallons is based on using last year's ratio for the degree days of this period.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I filled my oil tank last fall. It's still full. That old wood boiler works nice.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw