I hear the Boston Marathon ended with a bang...

Page 1 of 3
Who said "bring the war home" ?
Looks like you got your wish.
Will your guns protect you now?

As of 3pm CST, 2 dead, 23 wounded, most US major cities are on alert in case it was a coordinated attack. Taking away guns would not have prevented a thing......
But, why the marathon?
I expect they targeted the finish line of the marathon because they knew that it would be televised and that lots of spectators would congregate near that finish line.
Luckily, one of the three bombs that were planted didn't go off and will hopefully provide the evidence needed to track down who did this.
A fire in the John F. Kennedy library in Boston occurred at about the same time, but has since been determined to be completely unrelated. That was just a coincidence.
I kinda doubt this would be an international terrorist attack. Even international terrorists would be asking themselves "But, why the marathon?" since there's absolutely no political, economic or military significance associated with it. It's just an easy target because it stretches along a 26 mile route, and so it's not plausible to guard all 26 miles. Still, the finish line should have been recognized as a potential target because of the television cameras that would be located there.
--
nestork

nestork wrote:

So your military-surveilence complex can sell more
- body scanners - biometrics monitors/software - metal detectors - drones
So they can be employed at more
- public events / gatherings - your front door
So they can mine, store, record, analyze
- more of your electronic data - more of your purchases - more of your travel by any means (foot, car, plane, train, etc)
So they can enact
- more laws that strip away any sense that you could conduct any form of communication, travel or commerce with anonymity
For the real purpose
- as make-work projects, to hire people to perform mindless jobs - to provide data to the IRS so they can discover unrepored income
On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 22:21:38 +0000, nestork

minutes of fame.
On Apr 16, 3:40 am, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

If so, I bet he's also a gun nut with an arsenal in his house. Probably a tea leaf too.

Very possible. White Americans seem to take delight in being who they are not. Look at all the wht Americans that are hellbent on being Afro-American. "Yo dat, brah!" Dolts. Sounds like it jes might be another case of a homegrown whitey goin' "Allah akbar" on us. White guilt taken to the extreme. Maybe not. We shall see.
One thing's for sure. This near burnt out cinder jes can't support nine billion ppl. Basic high school sociology. Higher population density precipitates more eratic behavior. Short of a catastrophic plague or natural disaster seriously reducing the World's population, it damn sure isn't gonna get any better. I'm suddenly reminded of Alvin Toffler's book, Future Shock. FS, along with higher pop, has now given us something even worse, namely mankind's meltdown.
nb

But why the marathon? There isn't any "political, economic or military significance" associated with many targets of international terrorists. When they blow up a hotel that foreigners tend to stay at, for example, how is that any different than what happened yesterday? Or when they leave a car bomb at a crowded market? Or when they blow up a subway or train? The intent is to kill as many as possible in a dramatic way. We don't know who did it, but to say it doesn't fit the pattern of international terrorists is to deny or cover up the obvious.

Terror. It's about instilling terror into ordinary daily activities.
Not difficult to do in contemporary American society considering that Americans are now terrified of riding their bicycles without a helmet or living in a house that may have some radon in the basement.
On 4/16/2013 8:38 AM, JoeBro wrote:

Naw......just a sign that we like being Americans and want to live longer. Why blow yourself up to prove a point? If you live with anger and hatred, you just aren't living.

You know, I must be starting to slip up. I kind of swallowed the "international terrorist" label. The more accurate label is "muslim terrorists", because that is what they actually are in the vast majority of cases. And their terrorist acts more often than not don't span borders. In other words, they spend more time blowing up their fellow citizens than they do killing outside the country. So, why would you call them "international terrorists"?

Right. Obama didn't refer to it as a terrorist attack in his 6 PM little speech. He called it a "tragedy". I mean whether it's purely domestic and unconnected to radical Islam, or Al-Qaeda, it was still an obvious terrorist attack. What other possibility is there? Spontaneous bombs that assembled themselves? A husband trying to kill his wife, but figured they would do it that way?
I also found it interesting that TV stations had an official White House photo of Obama in the oval office on the phone talking to the FBI director, trying to look presidential in time for the 6:30PM news. The thing happens at 3PM and instantly the WH calls in the official photographer to snap a photo?

LOL, how's that working so far? The latest dumb move was just yesterday, with Kerry now saying the US will have one on one talks with the little runt in North Korea, as long as he shuts up for a while and doesn't test any more nukes. Another mistake, as the little runt sees that concession of the US agreeing to one on one talks as a direct result of what he just did.
McCain had it right. He said we've been doing this for decades. North Korea acts up, makes threats, we respond with more negotiation and aid out of false hope that it will change them. Meanwhile they continue lying and building nukes. It's a cycle and every damn fool, except of course the Sec of State, the president and mabye Jimmy Carter, can see that it's not only not working, but getting exponentially worse.

On Tuesday, April 16, 2013 2:54:10 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

The official photographer is probably just on the other side of the nearest door anywhere the President happens to be. It's been like that since there have been cameras.
You can't tell me your beloved "Dubbya" didn't love to pose for pictures to make himself look "Presidential." They're all media hogs.
On Apr 17, 12:29 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

re have been cameras.

No, I don;t recall Bush41 doing a staged photo shoot with the WH photographer in the oval office within a couple of hours of a terrorist attack. In fact, I recall the libs making a big to do over him continuing to read to those school children when first informed that a plane had hit the WTC. You mean presidential like that?

here have been cameras.

That Bush41 should have been 43.
On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 04:53:53 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Why schools? Why movie theaters? Why downtown Boston? Soft target with *lotsa* targets concentrated in one area.

Did you hear the questions posed to the Boston Chief of Police? From memory, one was along the line of, "...Is this another false attack instrumented by Homeland Security in order to remove our guns?" What caught my attention was the phrase 'another' There were some others but missed them due to sound having too much voice over and clutter.
While the CNN announcer kept saying the smoke indicated this was more likely a crude bomb, not containing C4; I kept thinking great made with gunpowder so another way to take all the ammunition away. We'll see if it was a 'dirty' bomb, laced with C4 for effect.
Trigger mechanism? CNN said they're checking the cell phone towers, Uh, surprised they didn't jam the network in that area. Oh, maybe they did [after the fact] and that's why some didn't go off.

You might want to check on that. My understanding is that was just another story that was wrong and in fact, the cell phone service might have been overloaded because of what happenedn, it was *not* shut down on purpose, at the direction of police, etc.
Why can't you libs get anything right?
On 4/16/2013 10:14 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

The P.L.L.C.F. have a "switch" on their wish list for all activity in the country. They want a "switch" to turn off The Internet, they want a "switch" to turn off your money, they want a "switch" to turn off all travel, they want a "switch" to turn off all news dissemination and with all the ammunition, guns and military vehicles they've been purchasing lately, it's obvious they want a "switch" to turn off the citizenry. o_O
Oh yea, P.L.L.C.F., Progressive Liberal Leftists Commiecrat Freaks. The acronym saves a lot of typing. ^_^
TDD