Hydrostatic transmissions

Page 1 of 2

Just took delivery of my first ever lawn tractor with a hydrostatic transmission. Not being a Lexus I don't expect silence, that said when engaging forward or reverse it's not exactly quiet either.
Curious to learn from others what "normal sounds" to expect. I'm purposely not including the sounds I'm hearing so I can instead compare users descriptions to the sounds generated. Hopefully with your inputs I'll have an idea of what is normal and what should be of concern.
Jim wrote:

Other than some pump noise, perhaps, I'd expect essentially no transmission sounds based on everything from lawn mower and tractors to mid-40's hp tractors (as another poster, all green).
If it's anything else, I'd suggest time to ask the dealer if it's not some junk walmart special...
dpb wrote:

What brand of machine (and I use the term loosely for some brands ) did you get stuck with?

My John Deere is basicly silent, in other words, I hear no noises above the sound of the engine. This includes switching back and forth from forward to reverse which I can do quickly with the two foot pedals.
Well, off the top of my head, hooo-weee!!! Chigga, Chigga!!!! is probably a bad sound. Hmm, grumble grumble is probably OK, and Ahumma Ahumma is probably closer to normal. Depending if you have a drawl.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

The only noise is the pump whine. That's normal. There's absolutely no sound from the transmission. That, by the way, is for a 32 year old, Case 222.
It sounds like you have a problem. No pun intended.
Gordon Shumway
Is it good if a vacuum really sucks?
Gordon Shumway wrote:

A Case 222 is NOT HYDROSTATIC. It's full hydraulic. There is no wet clutch in a Case.

Huh? It is a close loop hydraulic system. That is what defines a hydrostatic circuit.
It doesn't need a clutch. It's hydrostatic!
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

The closed loop system needs to be controlled and reversed by an external mechanical system.
Often, a hydrostatic transmission is combined with a planetary gearset and clutches to create a hybrid system known as a hydromechanical transmission. Hydromechanical transmissions transfer power from the engine to the wheels in three different modes. At a low speed, power is transmitted hydraulically, and at a high speed, power is transmitted mechanically. Between these extremes, the transmission uses both hydraulic and mechanical means to transfer power. Hydromechanical transmissions are ideal for heavy-duty applications, which is why they are common in agricultural tractors and all-terrain vehicles.
This is NOT how a Case works.

I hope you mean other types of vehicles when you state "all-terrain vehicles", because ATV's (All-Terrain Vehicle) are all strictly mechanical using either a wet multi-clutch system or a variable torque converter, no hydraulics.
Hank
Hustlin' Hank wrote:

ATV's are made anyway that they want.
On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 08:15:36 -0400, Van Chocstraw

By simply rotating the swash plate shaft like all hydrostatic drives.

The Case 222 is a hydrostatic drive with a sizable charge pump to run accessories.
part: .

. Yup, up to bar one!
On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 20:30:23 -0500, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Discovered the noise I was mistaking for the transmission was actually further forward. A "scrunch, clang" and engine stall forced me to investigate closer. Turned out the pulley on the left side mandrel wasn't properly positioned. The extra tension was playing havoc with the deck. Fortunately a few minutes with a wrench resolved that. Afterwards machine ran well for the rest of the afternoon.
Next project will be to check what else may not have been assembled properly.
For those interested the culprit is a Sears Craftsman YT3000 (28922)

That says it all!
Gordon Shumway
Is it good if a vacuum really sucks?
Jim wrote:

A quick search found some owners telling new owners to be sure to "purge the transmission." Check your manual, maybe that will help with whatever problem you are having.

Asking here is not the right place. The right place is back at the dealer. Have them check it out.
In my JD there is only engine noise (too loud IMO) and mower deck noise.
Harry K

I've noticed noise, sot of a whine when fluid is low. Find out how to check it and what it uses then top it off if necessary. I've had them that use type F ATF, and others that use 30 wt oil. I've also had one that if it was changed was a challenge to bleed & would get soft to the point of refusing to climb hills with the air once fully warm.

Make sure you are a full throttle when moving. Low engine speeds can generate more hydro noise.
Moving and mowing are always done at WOT.
justalurker . wrote:

I agree about the throttle. Amazing how many people don't realize these little machines have two engine speeds, idle and full throttle.