hydrostatic trans

my 285 jd just started slipping as iam going up hill. how can i adjust the trans, or could i have another problem i thank you for any help
On May 15, 12:00 pm, snipped-for-privacy@netzero.com wrote:

If it's hydrostatic, there are no external adjustments. First possibility would be possibly low on oil, after that it's basically seals/weak pump kind of things.

Actually, I'll modify that slightly -- it's possible there's a linkage problem and you're not getting full open to the control valve(s). That did occur on my 955 utility tractor. But, of course, that's not slippage in the transmission, it's an external controls problem.
I wouldn't go so far as the other poster as to say there's no hope, either. It's quite possible even if it is slipping (and, of course, "slipping" is a misnomer in the sense of the internals, in all likelihood it's a seal leakage or the pump) and might be reasonably repaired. Don't know the model number well enough to know how big/ expensive/old the beastie is.
My recommendation is to check what you can and then call Mr Deere and talk to the shop guy and see what he says...
On May 15, 1:00 pm, snipped-for-privacy@netzero.com wrote:

If it's slipping, it's just about ready to quit altogether. No matter the reason WHY it's slipping, the damage that's causing it to slip is permanent and fatal. Time for a new machine...