hvac vent direction

I recently replaced the return air duct vents with wood (the old ones were gray metal). The vents I replaced had the slates facing down \\. My neighbors vents are facing up /. Which direction should the slates go? The vents are at the top of the walls if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Reply to
Jason

My suggestion is facing up on high vents and facing down on low vents. Not only are they directed closer to the direction you may want to bring in the air from, but most important it blocks the view to the interior of the vent.

Next question. If you used the same size vents, I would guess you just reduced the effective vent area. The actual free opening in wood vents I have seen are considerably smaller than the free area in the same size metal vent. You may want to increase the opening and vent size to maintain proper air flow.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan