HVAC question

Do R-410 systems use the same connections for a manifold guage as R22?

Reply to
Sherman

You DO know that you can't interchange R-410A and R-22 gauges and hoses, right?

Reply to
Travis Jordan

This is Turtle.

Sherman , first the regular set of R-22 guages will fit the fitting on a 410-A units but your guages will be useless because of the R-22 gauages will not read high enough to give you good readings.

Second. You should not cross guages of R-22 and R-410-A and get the oils mixed up even the slightest.

Third The regular R-22 guages hoses are not rated high enough for the 410-A unit pressures.

Forthly. Sherman Buy you a set of 410-A guages and not hurt yourself !

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Thanks.

Can you tell me what oil each of those refrigerants use? I have some PAG oil for my cars, but I'm willing to purchase some more to clean my manifold and hoses. My hi guage are rated 600 and my hoses are 4,000 burst.

Reply to
Sherman

You are over your head.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

This is Turtle.

Older cars with R-12 in them they use ---- Mineral Oil

Newer Cars use Pag [ PAG oil is Dehydrated Anti-freeze ] & Ester oil depending on the years they were manufactored.

R-410-A freon uses , well i like Copland 3MA does good for me.

I know of no process to remove all the oil out of a set of gauges after they have been used with a type oil for a while. It will be in the gauages and in the rubber of the hoses.

Your R-22 guages will work nicely till you get the R-410-a system full of freon and then this will happen. First your hoses are rated at burst of 4,000 but they are really rated as working pressures which is 500 psi and the bust pressure is what it will hold over 10 seconds before busting. You will be putting pressures on your hoses above what they are rated for. Second Your high side guage is set to go to 600 psi but in some cases on a hot day you will see 700 psi or maybe

800 psi on your gauge rated to handle 600 psi. Your guage may bust . Third your low side guage will read up to about 120 psi but the pressure you will get will be between 120 psi and 200psi. then the gauge goes puff.

Sherman your asking for trouble tring to use R-22 or R-12 gauages on 410-A systems. spent you about $75.00 and get you a set of 410-A guages and not get hurt that away.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

OK. I'm not sure you are right about all the caution, but I'll tell my brother-in-law to get on ebay and get his own 410 gauge and hoses. I'll also scrap my plans to silver solder and go with the brazing rod.

Wish you could see the vacuum pump I'll be using to pump it down with. I bought it in 1971 for $40 from a guy that had it 25 years. What a sight. I paid a guy $5 to put his micron gauge on it while pumping my r-22 system and it read 450 microns after 45 minutes. That's close enough for government work.

I charge by the superheat method in case you are wondering. 96 degrees today....

Sherman

Reply to
Sherman

This is Turtle.

Use the Right tool as guages on 410-A.

450 Micro and holding. That is a very good level.

Charge by Super heat is very good but like Travis said it could be a TXV , so look to see.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Sherman, if it is a TXV, charge by Subcooling You should also verify what Superheat the TXV is maintaining, --to see if it is functioning within normal perimeters.

- udarrell

Reply to
udarrell

Of course if your system has a TXV then that would be wrong.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

I wish it was a txv, but it ain't.

My replacement will definitely be a txv.

Sherman.

Reply to
Sherman