Hurricane Wilma

Page 2 of 2
Norminn wrote:

Sure. There are two kinds of conservatives: economic and social, but only one kind of liberal. That said, in the economic vein:
Conservatives strive to promote the general welfare through the economy; liberals strive to provide for the general welfare through the government.
In the main, conservatives support equal opportunity, liberals support equal outcome.
Conservatives tend to help people get what they deserve, liberals tend to believe people get either much more or much less than they deserve.
Liberals tend to be more visceral, subjective, and emotional than conservatives. You seldom hear a conservative use words like "hate," "loathe," "despise," and other invectives when describing the persons or policies of the opposition.

That's certainly true of government-managed health care. There's a big debate raging in Canada over whether privately-funded health care should be available, even for those who want to pay for it! Interestingly, there are more MRI machines in Seattle than there are in ALL of Canada. One CAN get a free abortion in Canada; the waiting time is only eleven months.
Despite your opinion of the OP, he is correct. It seems rather stupid for these people to wait until after the hurricane has hit to go out and get their basic needs and then bitch at the government because stuff is not available. Florida has been hit by what, 8 hurricanes in the last 18 months? You would think that these people would have gotten a clue. Last time I had to sit through a hurricane, I made sure that I have everything that I needed to last me more than a week, including gas for my generator. I just recently had a house built and I had them install a generator transfer switch.
No excuse for being unprepared in this instance, so these people need to shut up and deal with it. Idiots.

PRESIDENT BUSH DOESN'T CARE ABOUT <insert your choice of race, creed, or religion> PEOPLE!!!!!

Yep, blame Bush for everything...
--
"You\'ve just one problem. You stand too close to the ball after you\'ve
hit it." -- Sam Snead

<should have drizzled a cup of sarcasm on top of it before I hit the "send" buttton>
Tom wrote: snip> Stop depending on the government to do for you. Wouldn't it be great to be able to opt out of the social security system? Tom

water,
tank
It is not like the hurricane sneaked up on them. I grew up in Tornado alley, midwest. Every year just before Tornado season I was tasked to carry canned goods to the root cellar and other tasks. Mom would lay in extra food and make sure that the freezers were full. Dad always said a tornado would never hit our house because it was on a hill. But a couple got close enough to the home that he stopped saying that. I guess as long as you can get money for spilling hot coffee in your lap after you ordered it degrading intelligence and society is not far behind.
a question i have is why is it in america most homes are constructe out of timber ? why not bricks and mortar i know it wouldnt stop the flooding or powe loss etc but surely a lot less homes would be destroyed ?
Hollow wrote:a question i have is why is it in america most homes are constructed out of timber ?? why not bricks and mortar i know it wouldnt stop the flooding or power loss etc but surely a lot less homes would be destroyed ??
Cheaper that way. Tom
tom wrote:

I'm thinking that unless they raise the ground level in New Orleans, like they did in Chicago, that NO can rebuild using houseboats as homes. Just anchor them on site, float when the next flood comes. Looks good on paper :o)

Real masonry construction takes more money, more time, and more skill.

Since Florida has the termite problem,most new homes are concrete block with rebar reinforcement and "hurricane straps" for the roofs.Wood is still used for second floors,and roof trusses and sheathing,though.
Then there are "manufactured homes",or "double-wides"(trailer homes,essentially),made with wood stud construction.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Goedjn wrote:

That has changed. Insulating concrete forms (ICFs) make it simple, cost effective, and save a bundle on energy. About 4% of new construction is done that way. www.polysteel.com www.integraspec.com If I ever build, this is the way I'd do it.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

snipped-for-privacy@spam.invalid (hollow) wrote in

even homes made of brick or concrete block still have roofs made with lumber,and they still get ripped off the walls unless built to *current* building codes. (or the windows or garage door fails,allowing a pressure differential to lift the roof) I note that in last year's Florida hurricanes,it was found that newer "manufactured homes" generally survived while earlier ones did not.
And not even concrete block homes can withstand storm surges.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Beachcomber wrote:

Even that should not be needed for a few days after the storm. It is so simple to fill bottles with water a few days ahead of time. If you use the 2 liter soda bottles there is no cost involved aside from losing the 5 deposit. Not everyone can afford a generator but if one neighbor has a portable, it can be moved around from house to house to run a refrigerator for a couple of hours to cool it down.

Just as stupid was the line to get propane gas. Most homeowners have a grill and spare tank. They had ample time to get them filled days ahead. Not to do so is stupidity on their part.
- Ed http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/
"> It is just plain stupid to have two mile lines in every community,

And here you have the two different views of the world. The conservatives see this as an issue of personal responsibility. The vast majority of those waiting in gas or water lines and bitching are there because of their own actions and stupidity. The liberals see this as one more thing government should fix to make the world perfect by spending more money. FEMA and relief angencies already start moving supplies and staging in anticipation of hurricanes. But now you're suggesting that the govt stage relief supplies locally all over where? The Gulf coast? Florida? Inalnd Georgia? Louisiananana, Mississippi? The whole east coast? Maintain them permanently? Another expansion of government, because some people are two stupid to fill up their gas tanks and a dozen jugs with water.
Beachcomber wrote:

1. You don't put your soldiers under the bombing target, you don't stockpile supplies where they'll get flooded or blown away. 2. Your idea is logistically impossible, even for one city. Consider my town, Houston. 4 million people, 600 square miles, one destructive hurricane every twenty years. Do the math.

Yes, and some ideas even get implemented such as easy conversion to contraflow lanes on Florida highways. Here's one good idea:
I just recently learned that in my town, Houston, the city set up semi-secret shelters, in advance, exclusively for the families of first-responders (fire, police, paramedics, etc.). These city employees could then concentrate on their assigned tasks rather than worrying about their loved ones.

Looking specifically at Houston and the Rita aftermath, it seems that there was a lot of propaganda over just how much evacuation was needed. Unlike New Orleans, Houston is above sea level, not directly on the ocean and has many big strong concrete buildings that could be used as shelters. The disorganization and bad decisions not to make the highways counterflow from the start speak for themselves. Unless your living in a trailer park or a particularly vulnerable home on the coast, it seemed to make more sense to stay close to your property in this particular instance. The goverment is going to attempt to scare everyone into leaving regardless, as just about every hurricane strike causes a certain amount of death and property damage. The goverment is more concerned about being blamed for this instead of a genuine concern for the residents.
Beachcomber
not snipped-for-privacy@xxx.yyy (Beachcomber) wrote in

Many of these hard-hit communities LOST their fresh water supplies. Trees get uprooted,and take out the water mains,the pumps to pressurize the system need electric power.Or storm surge and flooding contaminate the FW supplies.

People should have them BEFOREHAND.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik