Humidifier Recommendation

I live in Colorado and I'm looking to connect/install a humidifier to my forced air heating system. My hard wood floors are handling the dry air very well. Anyone in the group have a recommendation on the best type and brands? thanks Phil

Reply to
afman72

Go with the newer wick pad type rather than the older "drum" pad type. Less maintenance.

Reply to
SofaKing

I just installed a Honeywell flow-thru humidifier. Installation was not too bad (had to make some adjustments outside the instructions) So far, it has made a big difference for my comfort level. I live in Wisconsin and our air is probably not as dry as yours in CO, but my nose feels the difference and I feel warmer. My hardwood doesn't seem to be noticeably changed since I installed the unit.

They come in several sizes depending on your square footage. My only complaint is the amount of wasted water. I was kind of surprised when I watched how much water flows thru the filter and down the drain. (On that note, be sure you don't get a unit that requires a floor drain if you don't have one in your basement) I thought that there was way too much water flowing thru the filter than was necessary to keep it wet.

Has anyone played with the self-tapping valve? The instructions say not to use it as a flow control valve - it's either open or closed.

Outside of that, no complaints with the system. My cost was $99.00 plus the install kit.

-- David P. Feyen Reply to: dfeyen at wi dot rr dot com =================================================== This life is a test. It is only a test. Had this been an actual life, you would have received instructions on what to do and where to go. ===================================================

Reply to
Gryhound

I've had an AprilAire bypass humidifier for a couple of years, and I'm really happy with it. Does need a new pad every year, but it doesn't have the problem of standing water sitting in it. It also came with an automatic humidistat that regulates the humidity based on outside temps. With the swings in outdoor temps here in St. Paul, MN, I like not having to fiddle with a manual humidistat trying to maintain the correct humidity.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I put in an Aprilair and I have been very happy with it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The extra flow is there to help rise out the mineral build up and keep the unit working well with less maintenance. It is designed to use more water than just enough to keep the pad wet.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

What he said. Plus, be sure it's got a drain under it. My boss and I used to install Aprilaire 600, which have a vertical, square wick. The water flows enough of it through that some of the water goes into a drain. Helps keep it from accumulating limescale, minerals, and bacteria, fungus, and other microfleems. You don't want to have warm, wet water accumulated in your furnace. That's the same environment as the inside of your lungs (wet, humid, and lots of oxygen). And so that's how you get microfleems that infect people.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Self tapping valves are famous for clogging. Only takes a little sediment. How about an inline valve in the small line? Wonder if they make them that small? Yeah, they drain some water -- but that's the point. Helps keep minerals from growing, and microfleems from growing.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Six usenet posters can't be wrong! Aprilaire!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You forgot your boss...

BTW, to the OT, Aprilaire 700....